2012 Sewing and Fashion Events and Workshops
Sewing Workshops, Retreats, and Conferences
- Original Sewing & Quilt Expo (multiple dates and locations). A variety of classes, presentations, hands-on studios, all centered on quilting, sewing, embroidery, embellishment, and other needle arts. Expos will be held at several locations during spring 2012:
February 23-25—The Lakeland Center, Lakeland, Florida
March 22-24—Schaumburg Convention Center, Schaumburg, Illinois
March 29-31—I-X Center, Cleveland, Ohio
April 12-14—DCU Center, Worcester, Massachusetts.
- The Sewing and Stitchery Expo, Puyallup, Washington (March 1-4). Offers more than 100 educational seminars and workshops for sewers and quilters and 400-plus exhibitors and venders, several style shows, and free demos. SewExpo.com.
- Moulage workshop with Kenneth D. King. Janie’s Sewing Corner, Cleveland, Ohio (April 20-22). Kenneth will instruct students in the creation of a moulage—the foundation of the couture pattern drafting system. Cost: $500. JaniesSewingCorner.com.
- Nancy’s Notions Sewing Weekend, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin (May 3-5). Three days of sewing instruction, seminars, shopping, and hands-on projects at Nancy’s Notions. NancysNotions.com.
- Conference of Northern California Handweavers, Oakland, California (May 18-20). Offers classes and workshops in a variety of disciplines and techniques, including weaving, spinning, dyeing, felting, basketry, braiding, and more. A marketplace of sewing vendors will be onsite with their wares. The program also includes a fashion show, fiber artist galleries, and exhibitions. CNCH.org.
- Palmer/Pletsch East Fit Workshop, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (June 7-10). Taught by Palmer/Pletsch Certified sewing instructor Pamela Leggett, the four-day Fit workshop teaches fitting techniques and provides each participant with a personal body map they can use to alter fashion patterns. PalmerPletsch.com.