Free Patterns for Three Apron Styles
During the second season of Teach Yourself to Sew we learned about gathering, sewing double-fold edges and hems, and everything you need to know to sew an apron. Teach Yourself to Sew was created with beginners in mind, but sewers of any level can use these tutorials to brush up on their skills. Here are bonus patterns for three apron styles.
The patterns are designed to fit on 1 yard of 45-inch wide fabric. Aprons are popular right now and make a great gift as well as being fun and practical to wear. So, give these patterns a try. You'll see how easy it would be to modify the size, or change the length or shape, add or remove pockets, or play with fabric combinations. This is a risk free way to be your own designer. Enjoy!
1. Finish the skirt side edges.
2. Hem the skirt.
3. Fold under the outside pocket edges and press.
4. Hem pocket top.
5. Position pocket as indicated on skirt and topstitch sides and bottom to attach.
6. Gather the skirt width to 16 inches wide.
7. With RS together center and sew the tie's short, straight edges to waistband short edges.
8. With right sides together, center the waistband on the skirt and sew one edge to the skirt waist.
9. Fold waistband and ties in half lengthwise with right sides together and sew from D to E and from C to F. Turn RS out and press.
10. To finish the waistband, turn the unfinished edge under and either hand sew it with invisible stitches or topstitch by machine.
Skirt Apron - Download Pattern
Teach Yourself to Sew
Teach Yourself to Sew is a video series for beginning sewers or anyone who wants to brush up on their skills. We demonstrate basic sewing techniques, share tips, and give step-by-step instruction for beginner sewing projects. Plus, you can ask our experts for answers to any sewing questions you have along the way. You’ll gain the confidence you need to get started in sewing, and in no time you’ll be creating gorgeous garments. If you have already mastered the art of sewing, share this series with those who want to get started, and contribute your expertise by answering questions in the forum.
Watch our latest episode now.