Hot Stuff Bonus: Purse
In Sew Stylish, Number 2, Fall 2007, we started you off with the inspiration for whipping up a fabulously unique zip-up clutch bag. We felt that we didn't have ample room in the magazine to give you all the important sewing details you need to put this bag together. So, here's the sewing follow up for this adorable, must-have bag.
Do the prep work
1. Get the pattern from Sew Stylish Issue 2, p. 33: fabric, lining, interfacing, and a zipper.
2. Copy the pattern using the measurements provided. Be sure to mark the notches accurately; to find their placement, mark 4 1/2 inches on both sides of the center line on the top and bottom strip patterns and the face pattern.
3. Cut your fabric and lining as indicated. Cut interfacing for pieces # 1, 2, 3, and 4 and then interface those pieces.
Sew the lining
1. Position the two top strips (#1) side by side. Finger press the abutting edge to the wrong side to create a 5/8 inch seam allowance. Then sew the lining pieces with right sides together as follows.
2. First, sew the short ends of the strips together-two side by side top strips to one bottom strip. Don't sew into a circle, leave the strips flat.
3. Next, sew the strip unit to one side of the face piece (#3) matching notches to each corner.
4. Then, sew the other strip side to the remaining face piece. Again, carefully match notches to each corner to form a box. Set your lining aside.
5. Sew the lining (#5) to the flap (#4) with right sides together along the long sides. Turn through the open ends and press.
Now you're ready to sew the fashion fabric
1. Insert the zipper between the 2 narrow strips (#1). Fold and press a 5/8 inch seam allowance to the wrong side along the zipper seam and topstitch along the fold close to the zipper teeth from the right side. Then repeat on the other side.
2. Sew the opening end of the zipper to a short side of the long strip (#2). The other end of the zippered strip is sewn after the whole strip is sewn to the bag.
3. Stitch the strip around one bag face piece (#3), starting with the closed zipper end and matching the notches to corners. Stop sewing 1 inch before you cross the previous stitching.
4. Position the lined flap (#4/5) wrong side over the remaining face piece right side and baste inside the seam allowance.
5. Sew the other side of the strip to the face piece with the flap. Again, stop sewing 1 inch before crossing the previous stitching. Then, sew the two strip ends together across the zipper and finish stitching the strip to the faces.
6. Put the lining inside the bag and hand stitch the two layers together along the back of the zipper tape
Posted on Aug 6th, 2007 in sewing, online extras, All How-To, accessory, purse, sew stylish