Make an Embellished, Denim Fold-Over Bag
Make the Strap, Handles, and Tabs
Each bag version has a long shoulder strap as well as two short handles. The shoulder strap has a swivel clip at each end to connect it to ring tabs sewn into the bag's side seam. The Bohemian bag has flat and triple-topstitched straps and handle.
Make the Handles and Side Tabs
The handles and tabs are sewn in one strip and then cut apart to length.
1) Mark and fold a 3-inch-wide faux leather strip. Mark the strip lengthwise on the wrong side, 1-inch from a long edge. Fold the strip's other edge in to meet the line. Sew 1/8 inch from the fold along the strap's length with a 4-mm stitch length.
2) Fold the strip's remaining single layer in to meet the stitching line. Clip the fold in place, then topstitch 1/8-inch from the raw edge.
3) Mirror the stitching on the strap's other edge, for a total four rows of topstitching. Cut two 12-inch long handles and two 5-inch long side tabs.
Make the Strap
The strap is wider and has two additional topstitching rows than the handles and tabs.
1) Mark and fold the 4-1/2-inch-wide faux leather strip. Note: Doublecheck that the strip is straight and of even width; its length is the faux leather width from selvage to selvage , typically 55-inches. Mark the strip lengthwise on the wrong side, 1-1/2 inches from one long edge. Fold the strip's other edge in to meet the line. Clip the 1-1/2-inch-wide fold to hold it in place.
2) Sew 1/8-inch from the fold along the strap's length. For the best results, sew each topstitching seam in the same direction. To keep track of the ends, leave thread at the beginning of seams, but trim it at the seam ends.
3) Fold the strap's remaining single layer in to meet the stitching line. Clip the fold in place, then sew 1/8-inch from the fold. Topstitch 1/8 inch from the stitching, then again 1/8-inch from the second stitching. Mirror the stitching on the strap's other edge, for a total six rows of topstitching.
4) Trim the strap piece to 36-inches long. Feed each end 1-1/2 inch through a swivel hook ring. Stitch across the strap through all layers to secure the ends around the rings. Sew 1/8-inch and 3/8-inch within and parallel to the folded-in end. Repeat at the other strap end.