Young Marie Antoinette ( Too pretty to decapitate)
This is a costume I made based on 1700's French aristocrsty.
I made the dress using a lightweight polyester lining with a lace overlay. I cut out both fabrics together, then basted them around the edges to keep them together will I sewed the dress together.
The bodice is form fitting with a low neckline.
The skirt is ver full and pinned up at the sides. \
I added ruffles at the bottom of the sleeves and neckline.
When the dress was completed , I decided to add a cascading ribbon and bow down the front of the dress using some of the lining remnants.
The beads are just christmas bead garland , which is the cheapest way of making bead necklaces for costumes. I buy bead garlands on clearance after the holidays and save them for costumes.
We bought the wig at a costume store.
This dress took a long time to make because of the fullness of the skirt. It can be exhausting and time consuming working with such a full skirt. The end result was worth the effort though.
We had considered using this dress for a decapitated Marie Antoinette costume, but it turned out too pretty. We didn't want to mess it up, so my daughter is portaying a young Marie prior to the French revolution.
Pattern or design used: My own design
Posted on Nov 9th, 2012 in design, fabric, reader's closet, garment, sewing machine, Costume, marie antoinette
Halloween Costume Contest 2012