My take on the circular vest project
Inspired by an article on threads, about making a circular vest, and the fact that my daughter needs a new cardigan – I thought I would have a go at this one. I read the comments on the origional post, and so took the across back measurement and added 4 cm to it for ease. I wanted sleeves, so I just made a very simple tube shape. In the original pattern, the edge of the circle was bound, but I hate applying binding, so instead I over locked the edge. As I wanted it in jersey fleece, I found that by over locking the edge several times, pulling the fleece against the over locker as I went, it not only created a nice thick edge, but made it ripple most attractively.
I finished the cuffs before inserting the sleeves into the armholes, and turned them back and stitched round the fold to keep them in place.
It needs a button to help it stay on, but it worked brilliantly, I think I will try one with longer sleeves next time, maybe even flared cuffs; and as I used two layers of fleece for the circle, next time I shall use two contrasted colours so that the collar is different to the body of the coat.
The finished article.