Satin and lace bridal gown
Get the latest from Threads delivered straight to your inbox.
I made this dress using McCall pattern M6701. I used lace as the main layer and instead of lining I used satin. My client was using this dress to wear during a vow renual on the beach so she wanted it to be as light and airy as possible so we skipped the lining and boning. She choose to add cap sleeves to the design, they are tacked on at the very top edge of the dress. I also added a satin belt using 4yds of 2″ satin ribbon sewn together. During this project I learned how to sew french seams to keep the satin from fraying and how to sew appliqued seams in the lace so I didn’t cut up the beautiful pattern in the lace. Also to make the seams in the lace less noticiable. I learned how to sew the applique seams from this video, I love her tips and sewing blog! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tljzbl1QDMc&list=FLoFLSIoSg6VnSeEvNGiT_aw .
a close up of the scalloped edge of the lace over the satin at the bottom of the dress.
I used 2" satin ribbon to make a wide belt and then cut out and appliqued some of the roses that were in the lace to the front of it. It ties in the back and has long tails that hang along the train of the dress.
This is my friend/client wearing her beautiful dress. This is a view of the back. The dress is a high low dress which creates a slight train but not over done. I appliqued the scallopped edge to overlap just slightly so it would stand out. The lace overlays satin, and we opted not to add a lining.
This is a close view of the front. I used french seams on the inside of the satin because I didn't line it and the client did not want the boning. This kept the seams from fraying. I appliqued the seams of the lace to make the seams less noticable between the different pieces.
This is the front view of the dress.