Kenneth D. King’s Kilim Carpet Coat: The Big Finish
In our last installment of the kilim carpet coat series, I will show you how I tackled the finishing, which was hand sewing. I used standard hand sewing needles and doubled thread to finish this piece.
First, the facings were smoothed into position, and hand-tacked, to the shoulder pad, around the armhole, and at the shoulder seam.
Next, the Hong Kong-finished edges of the facings were tacked to the insides of the jacket with a blind stitch, so they would stay in place over the life of the coat.
Here’s the underlap side.
And here is the fly front side.
The back lining was then fell-stitched to the neck seam.
Then the shoulder seams of the lining were fell-stitched to the front facing. Everything was then ready for the sleeve linings.
The sleeve linings were pinned into the armhole.
Everything was fell-stitched in place.
After installing the sleeve lining, I discovered I’d cut it a bit short (oops), so I needed to face the cuffs. I did this with a bias strip of the same wool as used on the facings.
The linings were pinned to this facing, and fell-stitched.
The inside of the coat was finished.
Some final hand sewing was required: The fly facing needed to be tacked to the carpet between the buttonholes.
With the addition of some mismatched antique silver buttons, the coat was complete.
Here is a detail shot…
… and me, modeling the coat (front view)!
These photos are by our photographer Jack Detusch, who manages to make me look good!
This is an interior shot.
The coat from the side allows you to see strings hanging off the front; those strings are the little tassels from the corners of the carpet.
Get the latest including tips, techniques and special offers straight to your inbox.