Pattern Review: Vogue 1847
Statement Sleeves for High Drama
Rated Easy by Vogue Patterns. Pay attention to details, such as properly basting the pleats on the sleeve cap.
Size Range and Fitting:
Misses and Misses Petite 8 to 24 to fi t bust measurements 31-1/2 inches to 46 inches. The design’s seams and cup-size pattern pieces offer multiple fitting opportunities.
Vogue recommends firm wovens such as linen blends, broadcloth, cotton satin, and brocade. Be sure to use something substantial enough to accommodate the structured sleeve cap.
Style and Sewing Details:
This structured, futuristic blouse with funnel neckline, voluminous sleeves, gently curved hemline, and princess-seam silhouette is close-fitting through the bust; the pattern includes separate pattern pieces for cup sizes A through D.
- The sleeves have a darted sleeve cap plus four adjacent tucks. Choose from a half-sleeve gathered into a 2-inch-wide band or full-length sleeve tapered to the wrist.
- Instructions and illustrations are accurate and the match points and notches all line up. Pay attention to the notches.
- Clip strategically into curved seam allowances so they’ll lie fl at when pressed open, especially with deeper curves, such as the shoulder seams and the neck facing side seams.
- Before sewing and clipping these curved seams, staystitch to stabilize the deep curves.
- Hack it by extending the blouse to tunic length.
This review was originally published in Threads #219, Fall 2022. Have you made this pattern? If so, be sure to share pictures in our Readers Closet gallery.
Photos: Jack Deutsch. Illustrations: Cassandra Bernier.
Log in or create an account to post a comment.Sign up Log in