Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

1940’s Wedding

susanna | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Hello, intrepid stitchers. I am wondering (as I wander through the internet maze) just where in the heck does a person find a source for rayon crepe?

My daughter wants a 1940’s wedding. She is going to wear my mom’s wedding gown sewn in 1948 by my grandmother. It is satin with a sweetheart neckline, dropped pointed waist and sleeves,& dozens of covered satin buttons at wrists and back. I will be sewing in a new “modesty” piece above the low neckline and making a new veil (both of which my sister and I wrecked playing bride in the 50’s). DD also wants me to sew the bridesmaid dresses for her sister and her best friend. She wants the Folkwear pattern #233~ the Glamour Girl dress~ for these. She wishes for them to be sewn in in plum colored (red violet) rayon crepe. Where on earth can I get this ?

THANK YOU!

Replies

1. ShannonG4d | | #1

http://www.dollarfabric.com  has several colors.  They will do swatches, but give yourself some time, or call in the request.  Good service, nice people...I've bought bridesmaid dress fabric from them in the past.

Shannon

1. susanna | | #4

Thanks for the tip on dollarfabrics. I have bookmarked it and plan to use their swatch service if Britex doesn't come through. DD lives in CA, so can also drive up to Britex and search for coordinating embellishments, etc. there. But I am really glad to know about dollarfabrics! You just never know what's out there 'til you ask.

2. SewTruTerry | | #2

You should also try Britex Fabrics in San Francisco.  They have the most amazing selections of fabrics and will also do a swatch service.  If you do a google or other type of search I am sure you will find them.  They are on Geary just off of Union.  They have a website but mostly to show you the kind of things you can find there and on what floor you would find them.   Good luck.  Send pictures when the wedding is over.

1. susanna | | #3

You are so right about Britex. I was actually there last summer, and nabbed a swatch request form, which I found is also available on their website. That place is utterly fantastic. Thanks for the nudge. No pictures until June 2005, though! I'll be sewing my dress, favor bags, bride's and bridesmaid's purses, and a quilt for DD and her betrothed by then. Never made a quilt before, so will probably be back at the forum w/questions re that.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights