Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

1966 Bishop Method Staystitching

ThreadKoe | Posted in General Discussion on

I am a busy lady today, with all the rain we have. I am uploading a picture of staystitching and direction of stitching diagrams for you. A great reminder for us old timers, and a good resource for newbies. Enjoy. Cathy

Replies

1. DONNAKAYE | | #1

Can't open this document either (refer to my response to your posting about the '66 Bishop underlining).

1. User avater
      ThreadKoe | | #2

Donna, have reposted with PDF, or Adobe files. Hope they work. Cathy

1. User avater
        ThreadKoe | | #3

My apology continues to you for those who cannot open the other file here also. Lets see if this one works also. Cathy

1. Brine | | #16

ThreadKoe, I just looked through my collection of sewing books and I find I have the 1959 edition of the Bishop/Arch book! I picked it up a while ago at the local thrift shop. What a find!

1. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #20

I think you will find it an interesting read. Sometimes, I think when we are learning something new, we are just expected to just get everything by osmosis. I find I get overwhelmed, and miss details. Then later on, when someone explains something so obvious, I go " now why didn't I see that?" I like this book because it just does not assume anything. You know the old saying- Assume, makes an #### out of you and me. Cathy
            darn they bleeped the word, but you know what it is.

Edited 7/25/2008 4:13 pm ET by ThreadKoe

2. DONNAKAYE | | #4

They absolutely do work.  Many, many thanks.  P.S.  The line drawing of the staystitching is the one my mother used in her classes, blown up and mounted on foam board.

1. User avater
          ThreadKoe | | #5

As soon as I can get a new scanner, mine will be put in my "reference binder" in protective pages. I will soon have to start volume 2 as the first binder is getting pretty full of my cheat sheets. Cathy

1. DONNAKAYE | | #6

"Cheat sheets"?  Are you referring to the pattern guide sheets?

2. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #7

Ha, Ha, No Donna, My cheat sheets are the bits of information that I gather from everywhere, online, Gatherings, Magazines, etc., that I copy or cut out and put into my binder. This information includes the measuring charts from the major pattern companies, needle and interfacing guides, application instructions for notions, new techniques, old techniques that have many steps that I sometimes forget the order of. My manuals for my machines have summary pages for what settings for what feet. I photocopied the pages and put them in a binder so I don't have to go digging every time I need the info. The one binder sits on a shelf by my sewing machine within arm's reach. My copier can put 4 pages onto 1 page, so even bulkier stuff takes up less room. I pop them into the archival page protectors. Instant personal resource book. The book is divided into sections by index dividers, Notions, Patterns, Machines, Tecniques, Misc., General Knowledge. Cathy

3. DONNAKAYE | | #8

OMG, I'm going to throw up!  I thought I was anal retentive!  Actually, I just purchased the little Stitch n' Stash program from Wild Ginger ($25; purchased it at the same time as the Pattern Master Boutique program) and have been inputting all my info in my (rare) spare time.  I haven't figured out all the little program quirks yet, so I'm still struggling, but my goal is to get where you are.

I was in the sewing studio this morning zip-locking some fabrics and projects to get them ready to put them into my boxes.  I have boxes labeled and sorted by fabric type and weight.  Here are the major categories in my stash:

Novelty knits; slinky knits; novelty wovens; stretch wovens; wools and woolens; cotton and cotton types; bottom and suit weights; blouse weights; shirts; jeans and denim; evening and formal wear; home decor; quilting and crafts; bindings; linings; underlinings and interlinings; shoulder pads; interfacings; fleece; boucle; coat weights; lingerie; sleepwear; outdoor; athletic wear; vintage and historic; brocades and jacquards,.  I also have boxes labeled "coordinates."  That means that I have coordinated fabrics saved together and ready to go, some with all the notions such as coordinated linings and/or underlinings, zippers, buttons, and trims.  On the outside of the boxes, my plan is to attach a Fed Ex clear stick-on mailing envelope and sample squares of each piece of fabric, and to get really dreamy, a Post-It note with the fiber content, cleaning method, and yardage stapled to each of to the squares.

I'd love to get a hold of your "cheat sheets."  In an ideal world I'd have me one.  I'm hoping Stitch n' Stash will produce a nice book for me.  I do always carry with me a three-ring binder labeled "Patterns" so that I don't double-buy, which I have been guilty of doing on a numer of occasions.  I indicate in my Patterns binder the identity of the pattern company, the featured designer (Claire Schaefer, Sandra Betzina, Claude Montana, etc.), the size or size range, the garments and/or accessories included (e.g., jacket, skirt, pants, vest), and indicate whether the pattern calls for light, medium or heavy weight knits, wovens, or both.  Then the patterns are sorted numerically within the boxes.  I've used this system since I was about 19 years-old, after I left home.

My pattern stash boxes are sort by career and sportswear (which comprises the vast majority of my patterns), jackets and coats, children's, couture, vintage and historic, evening and formal, active and athletic wear, outdoor, and home decor, plus I have special boxes set aside solely for the large Vogue envelopes labeled "Vogue."

Phew.  I'm tired, but I want a "cheat sheet" book like yours.  Maybe I'll start one today!  Great idea!

4. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #9

I used to have my fabric stored in cardboard boxes marked with what was in them. But had a mouse problem. The girls "helped" me put things in rubbermaid boxes (35 of them). Now I know where Nothing Is! Oh what FUN. NOT! DH just made storage space for the boxes, and I am slowly figuring out what to do with them, and what is in them. One box, one day at a time. Cathy

5. Gloriasews | | #23

I have 6 big Rubbermaid boxes (not see-through), so I have the same problem as you have (& for the same reason).  I've recently bought a labeller - so I'll put as many labels on the boxes as necessary so that I don't have to keep pulling them out (they're heavy), looking inside, then having to pile them back up (unfortunately I have no shelves nor room to install them - these are all piled in a shallow closet in a rental apartment.  The labels will help immensely.  Good luck with yours!

Gloria

6. rekha | | #10

so that I don't double-buy which I have been guilty of doing on a numer of occasions

In my case it's senility. What is your excuse?

7. DONNAKAYE | | #15

In my case, it's ignorance plus a notable lack of common sense.

8. rekha | | #17

I wasn't really expecting a response but I can't see how in the life a court reporter you could have a notable lack of common sense.

9. DONNAKAYE | | #18

You are indeed a very astute observer.  Yes, I actually have loads of what we reporters refer to as "street sense" (if I must say so myself!).  You're right.  We've got to if we're going to survive in this business.

10. rekha | | #19

Do you 'stalk' people coming out of court to get your best story?

I would like to hear of an interesting one

11. DONNAKAYE | | #21

Well, I do both freelance (depositions) and court work (hearings, trials, Civil Service, state boards, etc.).  I even took the Democratic National Committee when it was here after Hurricane Katrina.

There are some hilariously funny situations that arise in depositions, yes.  Believe me when I tell you that I don't think there isn't anything I haven't already heard in legal proceedings -- nothing shocks me anymore.

Why don't I post a funny for everyone on occasion to add spice to their day?  Right at this moment I can't think of a single one.  Must be on burnout.

12. sewelegant | | #13

Your method sounds a lot like mine.  I am thankful I have a mere 6 - 8 semi see through plastic storage boxes to keep track of, but then, I only sew for my own pleasure.  I have not noticed the fed ex see through mailers and will have to check that out!  I started taking a digital picture of each fabric piece to put with my fabric stash record that is in my computer, but I am not very good with executing that.  I wanted it to be like the fabric.com places do their swatches, but I need a bit more knowledge.  I did copy the fabric sample image from several places where I purchased on line and that is working out well.  I like your idea of carrying your pattern inventory data to the store with you.  Lots of patterns may be of a different look but the style is much the same and I find I have purchased the same looking style again and again!  I might not have done that if I had been trained in pattern making, but I wasn't.  That part of sewing was a big mystery to me for many years.  I have kept a lot of those pattern envelopes though for inspiration as it was the drawing that intrigued me.

13. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #14

Keeping track of the patterns in a book is a great way too keep from purchasing the same kind over and over. The other thing is to take out the instruction sheet for a potential pattern and look at the shape of the pattern pieces. Often, I find that there is a similar pattern that I have already that I can adapt that already fits me that I can use. Major design style changes, buy the pattern. I often find inspiration from the pattern drawings, but don't buy a pattern, as many things don't change much year to year. Some patterns are re issued with new drawings and fabrics. Cathy

14. Gloriasews | | #22

OMG - how big is your sewing room???  And how much storage to you need for all of that?  I got tired just reading your list - as you got tired just listing it all!  :)  On the other hand, I feel much better about my stash (which I was embarrassed about previously) - now it seems quite small, even though I don't have enough room for it. :)

Gloria

15. DONNAKAYE | | #24

You have to remember, I started at four years-old.  I was teaching by my mid-twenties.  Then when mother passed away, I had a 3,000-square-foot house full from floor to ceiling of her stuff.  You should see the stuff I had to get rid of.  I could have kept everyone in Gatherings in fabric and notions for a lifetime.

My sewing studio is 30-by-70.  Sewing machines include Bernina, Elna, and a Yamata industrial, plus Bernina serger.  The cutting unit takes up a large chunk of space in the middle of the studio.  Then I have racks with clothes that are either waiting to be finished or RTW to alter; and shelving full of notions and pressing equipment.  Then, of course, there's the machine embroidery and home decor (draperies, pillows, duvets, and the like).  And when I'm not sewing, I'm usually crocheting afghans, doilies, or clothing of some sort.

I may a needlework junkie, but I've never been in trouble!

16. Gloriasews | | #25

How very impressive (& the envy of us all, no doubt) - your sewing room is bigger than the average house!  How fortunate for you to have such space, a large cutting table, & storage!  And, to top it off, you're well organized (double-envy :).  Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge & a glimpse (imaginary) of your sewing space.

That must have been both stressful & heartbreaking having to part with so much of your mom's stuff.  It's so hard to separate the keepers from the castoffs.

Gloria

17. DONNAKAYE | | #26

Very thoughtful of you to say so.  I was a Momma's girl, all right.

18. sewelegant | | #11

There is an interesting discussion going on here between you and Donna Kaye and I am trying my darndest to glean out the things I can apply to my own Happy Addiction:  organizing my "stuff".  Since the computer came into my life I have been using it to store all kinds of data that is becoming more and more a bit too well hidden!  At least your binder is readily available and if you want you can take it to your favorite reading spot.  I have some serious printing to do.

19. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #12

I am a serious collector of stuff, and it was becoming a nightmare. Couldn't find what I wanted when I needed it. So I started paring down. No need to keep the whole mag for just one article. Threads is the exception. Cut and Past Girl. Tips and tricks can be collaged on one page, and added to as they collect under a heading, ie, hems, collars, etc. The binder is just a mini file system. Big pages can be scanned and reduced, so can whole articles. I also make reference notes to where more info can be found in other references. Just jot down notes in the margins, ie., Book,Pg # (Subject).
            I have a File on my Desktop Called CathyStuff that is the same way. Inside has new folders with different headings to loosely hold Info: Sewing, Beading, Ceramics. Then in them are further folders: Patterns, Books, Tips, Projects, Ideas. Each file then is saved with a descriptive name, under the appropriate heading, until I deal with it later on a rainy day. Sometimes I just save, and file it later if I'm in a hurry.
            I also love sticky lablels. They can be written on with a pen or marker and layered over one another on boxes, envelopes and drawer fronts. Post it notes are a lifesaver as well. I will never be organized, I just want to keep my stuff where I can find it and a clear enough space to work. :) Cathy

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights