Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

1966 Bishop Method Underlinings

ThreadKoe | Posted in General Discussion on

Here is another excerpt for your perusal. I have put it all on one page for those who like to print out and keep such things.

Sorry about the picture quality, but I have to purchase a new scanner, the old one was hit by lightning… Cathy

Replies

1. DONNAKAYE | | #1

Cathy, my attachment won't open.  All it does is bring me into WordPerfect and a blank document.

1. User avater
      ThreadKoe | | #2

Sorry Donna, it has to be opened in Microsoft Word rather than Corel WordPerfect. Let me figure this out. Cathy

1. jjgg | | #3

it won't open on my computer either, what is a .wps file? Microsoft word would be a .doc file

1. User avater
          ThreadKoe | | #4

Sorry Jigg, and all who cannot open the file, it actually is a Microsoft works program I was working in. Am still trying to fix the problem. Will repost ASAP. So much for that brilliant idea :P Cathy

1. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #5

If it's any consolation, it worked for me. Of course, I have MSWord.....

2. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #6

My apologies to all who could not open the Other Word file. Here is one in Adobe that should work. Keep your fingers crossed. Mine Are. Cathy

3. rekha | | #7

Is this the 1959 or '66 edition?

In this book there seem to be a lot of common sense things which get omitted.

I think I shall buy the book

4. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #8

It is the 66 edition. I bought the book because of the basic commonsense way it presented the information. At the time, It filled in the gaps in the knowledge that I seemed to be missing. Just a lucky find I guess. GailAnn has both books. I think either would be good, But I am looking for the 59 just to have both. I don't shop for books online, as I like the hunt through the bookstores. I am going to look for that Encyclopedia one also, seems to be a good overview book as well. Cathy

5. rekha | | #9

as I like the hunt through the bookstores

You are a glutton for punishment, but good luck

p.s. you wouldn't have an ISBN no for it would you. I am unsure that the 1959 would have it but the 66 edition should

Edited 7/25/2008 10:01 am ET by rekha

6. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #10

Maybe, but I have found some excellent antique sewing books for practically nothing this way. A Pittman's Ladies Tailoring Simplified, by M.E.E. Galbraith, 1937, perfect(New) condition for $10,00. And Actually, I think I probably talked him down on that one too if I remember correctly. :) Some of the flea market booksellers really don't know what they have. Cathy

7. Cherrypops | | #11

thank goodness we are countries apart, i would be chasing you round the bookshops, markets etc...I love them too!

8. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #12

I also have the Lippincott's Home Manuals Clothing for Women, 1916 excellent condition, found for $6.00. My best find so far has been a rather rare book I paid the whopping $20.00 for, Advanced Textile Design by William Watson, 3rd edition, 1948 , good condition.
            If I could plan the perfect trip for me, It would include a tour of 2nd hand bookstores, beading shops, fabric shops, ceramic supply shops and not necessarily in that order. CathyEdited 7/25/2008 10:30 am ET by ThreadKoe

Edited 7/25/2008 10:30 am ET by ThreadKoe

9. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #14

Ok, I see your point, good resource. But it does take the fun out of the hunt. Not all of us use credit cards either tho. Cathy

10. rekha | | #15

Oops!

Could you please tell me some more about Advanced Textile Design by William Watson

11. sewchris703 | | #16

Also try your local library's book store (if it has one). I bought my 1959 Bishop book there for about $1.50 (I think). I love finding old sewing books.Chris

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights