Hi: As I was moving from sleep to wakefulness this morning, I started to think about the following:
How do you adjust for different weights and hand in fabrics for the same pattern, that you already have fit to you. For example:
- are there seams you make sure never change length and shape such as armsyce, neckline center front and back seam on pants?
- do you make the changes (I think they are ease changes but I am not sure I am using ease correctly here) through the centre of pattern or all at the sides?
- is there a rule of thumb that guides you as to how much pattern to add or subtract.
I am thinking about the following type of fabric changes:
- from jean weight denim to heavy crepe silk
- from cotton batiste on a top to mid weight imitation suede.
This is probably a question pattern drafters and designers are able to answer, but any help from anyone is appreciated. I should know this, but I don’t and couldn’t seem to puzzle it through myself this morning.
Edited 2/5/2008 11:33 am ET by scrubble4