Aviator Cap Sample Completed! (pics)
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions! For this first version, I adapted my swim cap pattern almost doubling the size because that pattern had to stretch a lot to fit snugly.
I then sewed a muslin (a first for me) and, interestingly, because I didn’t think to lengthen the center panel, it came out to the right length and showed me where to cut the sides.
When I was at my favorite fabric store a couple of weeks ago the owner was cutting a big piece off the end of a bolt of quilted velveteen because it was damaged and he asked me if I wanted it (of course I said yes – and that’s also why it is my favorite fabric store – they treat me so well!) and it was perfect for this cap!
I didn’t line it (I didn’t think of it until I had finished but I will line the next one) and I had trouble sewing a buttonhole on a double thickness of the leather (it’s an older machine) or even on a double thickness of the fabric so the strap is just a single thickness. I thought about it afterwards and I think that if I cut 2 bigger strips and sew a buttonhole on each and then match them afterwards that might work.
I also had to adjust the back at the neck because it wasn’t until I wore it that I realized how much it stayed away from my head so I adjusted the seams to curve inward instead of straight down.
<a href=”http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/wrdsandmusic/100_5886.jpg” target=”_blank”>
<a href=”http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/wrdsandmusic/100_5887.jpg” target=”_blank”>
<a href=”http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/wrdsandmusic/100_5888.jpg” target=”_blank”>
Edited 10/8/2008 11:49 am ET by cycler1729
Edited 10/8/2008 11:50 am ET by cycler1729