Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Bernina 170e vs. Viking #1 Embroidery

Sheba | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I recently purchased my Bernina 170E earlier this which was used. Can’t afford the 200E. Well it was giving me problems with the tension sense its not automatic so I returned it and the dealer said I need to oil it every 6 hours of sewing, I thought that was strange well any how. I’ve been taking sewing classes at another sewing dealer they recently had a raffle and guess what? I won the Viking #1 machine, now I don’t have the space for both machines plus my Serger.

I have heard the 170E is great for piercing cause its only 5mm, but I haven’t had the time to plunge into that part of sewing yet. I only sew clothes.  Any advise from the sewers out there, which one should I consider? Keep my Bernina 170e and sell the Viking.  I really don’t know at this point.  Any pointer will be greatly appreciated.  :o)

Replies

1. sarahemily | | #1

I think that you are very lucky!

If you do a search for Viking #1 at Sewing World  you will find many comments about your new treasure.  I know nothing about the Bernina but many people are very happy with this Viking.  I don't think that you would have any problem selling it as some say it is the best ever.  I love mine!   Have you considered just using it for a few months before making a decision? 

1. Sheba | | #3

Thanks Virginia, lately I am sewing on the Viking instead of the Bernina and I do indeed love it. Everything you said about the Viking 1+ is true.  I do plan to keep both of them for a while to figure out what exactly I really want to do with both machines, you'll never know I may just keep both of them. Alot of folks out there have more than one machine that they use.  Well thank for your wonderful comments on the Viking have a wonderful day.

2. GhillieC | | #2

OIL IT!!!!  I have a Bernina 170 QPE.  The instructions say NEVER oil it.

I understand that there is a bobbin mechanism used on the 170 in some schools and colleges where machines are treated badly which is entirely made of metal to prevent constant breakages.  This does need oiling.  If it turns out your Bernina has been badly used before you purchased it certainly get rid of it.  Otherwise find another Bernina engineer.

I use my 170 for dress making, tailoring and a little machine embroidery (I have the embroidery unit).  It has never caused me any problems.

I definitely do not WANT a 200E.  It does not do simple things simply.

Cheers,

Ghillie

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights