Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Brother NX-400

Kathy328 | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I have been in the search for a new machine for awhile now and THOUGHT I had made up my mind… and then I saw the NX400 on the internet.  Well…I don’t know much about it except that it really has alot to offer for the price!!   I had been looking at the Viking Freesia or the new Viva and they have several things I liked- the lcd display, the thread cutters, the auto backstitch beginning and end- but only 20 stitches, 1 type buttonhole and more $.  Then I was looking at the Brother CS8072, but the NX does have a few more things I liked on it.

Does anyone have the NX400 or know much about it?  I am going to try to find it somewhere in town and go try it out in the next couple weeks.  But until then, I’d love some advice/info on this one! I am an intermediate beginner  and I’m thinking that I’ll have alot to learn on this but it will last me awhile without my asking DH for another 🙂 !!!

Thanks for any info you can give!

Happy Sewing!!  Kathy

Replies

1. carolfresia | | #1

Kathy,

Threads, No. 109, pp.76, has a review of this machine. It is quite loaded with features for the price, no doubt about it. Is there a Brother dealer near you where you can test-drive it? It's always a good idea to try a machine before buying, so you know if you're comfortable with how the controls work, the feel of the machine, and whether the LCD screen is easy to read with readily interpretable displays. From the description, this looks like a great machine for an advanced beginner/intermediate sewer (or advanced sewer, for that matter).

Carol

1. Kathy328 | | #2

Thanks Carol for the reply.  I will have to go out and get that Threads and read it. I am hoping to get out to see the machine this weekend at a dealer.  Getting a good price will be the quest now !  I called 2 dealers and both gave me 2 different prices- $599 smf $699.  The one with the 599 said they had a $50 rebate going on so I will check them out first.

If there's amyone out there that has this machine or has taken it for a test drive, I'd love to hear from you!

Happy Sewing!  Kathy

1. CJM | | #3

Kathy, you might consider more price options after you have tried all the machines you are considering. I researched for weeks before buying my newest and found that I could save as much as 50% on the net. Mr Vac & Mrs Sew are a couple from New York and extremely helpful to their customers.

Good Luck. CJ

1. Kathy328 | | #4

CJ,

Thanks for the info on Mr Vac and Mrs Sew in NY !!  They are great!!  I finally decided on a machine and bought a Brother NX600 from them. ($639 w/ free shipping)  I did LOTS of research and checking and they had the best overall price. They were very helpful !! Another place I found that I liked was http://www.marvelouscreations.com  .  They are located in Vermont and Marv was very nice too.  Their price was $629 but added shippping and AZ is a long ways from there. So...  I DID do alot of research and checked out LOTS of places...  so when I FINALLY decided I felt I had at least done enough research.  But wow!  I never realized what all was out there with all the new choices and different kinds of machines!!! Amazing!!   I can hardly wait for the machine to get here!! 

What did you get from them ? 

Kathy

1. CJM | | #5

Hi Kathy;

I am so glad that Mr Vac & Mrs Sew worked out for you. Lisa & Joe are great aren't they? I did all the research too for weeks and weeks. Did you tell them I sent you? I hope so. They went the extra mile for me and I want them to know I appreciated it.

Let me know how your Brother works out. You are going to have such fun!

CJ

2. Kathy328 | | #6

Hi CJ,

I got my machine and I really like it!!  Joe and Lisa are great and answered all my questions.  I had to call them this weekend after I broke a needle and couldn't find the end of it (still haven't) and Joe walked me through taking things apart to look for it.  I really recommend them to people. Thank you!

I just wish I had more time to sew, but after I get my daughter's room painted this weekend I will "need"  to sew curtains, so.... Then I will be sewing more!

The Nx600 sews so nicely and straight. I love all the little features on it like the needle threader,  the auto backstitch, and lots of buttonhole choices. So fun!

Happy Sewing! Kathy

3. cat | | #7

Hi Kathy328,

I am shopping for a new machine as mine is 15 years old and it's time!  I have shopped around the dealers in my area & settled on a few brands & models. Is it possible to get the URL or phone number of Mr Vac and Mrs Sew in NY?  You seemed to have gotten a wonderful price and great service from them. 

Thanks,

4. Kathy328 | | #8

Hi Newbie,

The URL for Mr Vac and Mrs Sew in Ny is http://www.mrvacandmrssew.com .  You can look at the machines at their site but need to call for a price.  They are an authorized Brother dealer so they aren't able to post prices of new Brothers online.  Lisa or Joe will email you back right away with prices.  I ended up with the NX-600.  Several people on other sites have purchased the PC6000 from them at the incredible price of $499!!  That's close to the price of the NX400 !!  The 6000 is being discontinued. I really like my machine.  It really sews great and has SOOOO many options-I haven't even begun to try them all out!!

You will like Joe and Lisa. If you have questions they will be glad to answer them for you.  Please tell them Kathy from PHX sent you there.  Not sure where you are from but it doesn't take long to get your machine unless you order it right before the weekend like I did.   It was like waiting outside the delivery room!!   :-)

Good luck and let me know what you think and what you get!!

Kathy

5. cat | | #9

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the URL!!!  I wasted no time and called.  Got Joe on the phone and he was very helpful.  I bought a PC6000!  What an awesome deal!  No tax, no shipping...I'm so excited now, I can't wait to get it.  It has more features than I can fathom.  One of my coworkers who is a very experienced seamstress was extremely impressed w/all the features it had.....I've got her interested now...she has a Bernina.

Again, thanks for the URL.  I'm so excited about sewing again!

6. Kathy328 | | #12

Hi Newbie,

Congrats on your new toy that's on it's way!!  You will be so happpy with your new machine.  I really like the Brother brand (I was a Singer gal for 20+ years) and think they have alot of machine for the money.  Glad you liked Joe.  Did ya tell him Hi for me? :-)

I just got an email from a friend of yours, Jo, and gave her the names of a couple more sewing forums .  You should try them out too!!  The best of them is the http://www.sewforums.com .  there has been an active conversation from several of us that have recently bought Brothers- most of them the PC6000. or the NX 600 posts.  I hope to read you there!

Let me know what you think when you get your machine.

Kathy

7. cat | | #13

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for all the information.  You've been very helpful. My friend, Jo, also bought the PC6000 as well!  So, we're both excited and can hardly wait.

I told Joe you sent me and he appreciated the reference.  I'll let you know when the machine arrives!

8. muranojo | | #10

Kathy, I'm a friend of Newbie's.  Do you happen to know how the PC 6000 handles buttonholes?  Am really interested in the model and will probably have to act fast.  BTW, you reference other msg boards that mention the model:  Can you include the urls?

Many thanks!

Jo

9. Kathy328 | | #11

Hi Jo and Newbie,

From what I understand the PC6000 handles buttonholes wonderfully.  There are even 10 different types !! 

You do need to get in touch and/or read from others who have this machine.  There is an ongoing discussion about the PC6000 right now in http://www.SewForums.com  and others in http://www.SewingWorldCommons.com .  They are also my favorites and seem very active.  Another to try is  http://www.PatternReveiw.com and they have a section with reviews written about certain machines. Just ask it to search for Brother machines and then you can sort through and read, comment and email the reviewer.   All the forums are great because different people are on each, but there are several of us who are on each site and recognize each other.  But lots of helpful info !!

Good luck and let me know how you two do in your search.

Kathy

10. muranojo | | #14

Kathy,

Thanks so much for your help!  Newbie & I checked out a 6000 thread on SewingWorld today, so I'll check out the other sites tonite!  However, as Newbie mentioned, it's kinda late now, as I just jumped on it--without even a test drive!  LOL!!  Saw the same models out on ebay, and there it said there were only 3 units left, plus I'd heard there's been quite a bit of discussion on vrs. forums, so decided I'd better not mess around too long!

I am interested in others' experiences with the model and tips, so will definitely check out the other sites.  Found out today there was a review in Sew News clear back to Nov. '97, so the model has been out quite a while.

I've been a Bernina 'diehard,' until today, that is.  Have an Activa 140, a 2000DCE serger, and the 009 DCC serger...so this is quite a new experience for me.  Was really excited to see all the bells & whistles, and especially to hear it does a decent buttonhole.   Only issue I've seen is some have had problems with the lateral stitching.

Thanks again!

11. Kathy328 | | #15

Hi Jo,

Glad to hear that you ordered a PC6000 too!!  I think that you'll be really happy!! The waiting will be hard!!  Sounds like you are definitely an experienced sewer so i will be asking you for help soon.  I feel that with the new machine I am learning to sew all over again.  In some ways that's good!

Try the http://www.sewforums.com site.  There are a couple threads on PC6000 help and one on Brother VS other brands. These are both are good with info.  What I love about these forums is if you can't sleep or you're up  sewing late and have a ? you can just hop on and ask.  By morning someone has answered you!  It's fun and I have meet so many nice people.  Where are you and Newbie from?  I am from Phoenix, AZ !

Can't wait to hear about your new arrival!! :-) !!

Kathy

12. muranojo | | #16

Kathy,

Can't say I'm that experienced...probably more of an intermediate.  Most of my sewing has been home decor with some garment construction, nothing fancy.  I do love to play with decorative stitching on my sergers.  I'm now planning on getting into more sophisticated garment construction, like tailored jackets, etc.  It's been a while since I tackled one of those!

I'm from Idaho...Newbie works with me in another office in CA.

Cya!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights