Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Brother ST371HD Specialty Stitches stopped working

Srtsweet | Posted in New to Sewing on

Hi everyone,
I’m new to sewing, and I recently started using a sewing machine to make facemasks to donate.  I have a Brother ST371HD Strong and Tough machine that’s practically new. It was only used once prior to me making the facemasks. I had the SS (specialty stitch option) setting on, and was using 11/29 specialty stitch, because I felt it secured the facemask with the design I was working with. It was working fine.  I took a phone call, and when I returned the specialty stitch stopped working. I changed the thread, the needle, the bobbin, I cleaned the bobbin housing, realigned the bobbin, unplugged the machine, I even switched to different stitches… I tried everything, and it’s not working . I can still use the regular stitches, but I don’t know why all of a sudden the specialty stitches stopped.  Has anyone had this problem?  I’ve searched the manual and google, and can’t  find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks in advance!

Replies

1. user-6617347 | | #1

Hi Srtsweet. Welcome to the fold. I don't have that particular machine, so I'm afraid I can't give any first-hand advice as to what's going on with yours. Reading your post, I can, however, ask you a few questions that may help point you towards finding a solution. First, where did you purchase the machine from? If you got it from a sewing machine dealership, that would be the place to begin. If not, and secondly; you state that the machine is not that old. How old, exactly? Your machine may still be under warranty. If so, (or, even if it isn't) I'd next suggest to contact Brother either by phone or online, and see what help they may be able to give. If there's something that needs repair and your machine is still under warranty, you may be able to get it repaired for little or no cost to you.

I looked up your model on Brother.com and found information about your machine, including warranty info. Here's the link: https://www.brother-usa.com/support/st371hd

Good luck getting your machine repaired or troubleshooted. Hope that helps.

2. ThreadsMagazineWeb | | #2

Hi Srtsweet,

It sounds like you've tried what you can. Best thing to do would be to get it serviced by a professional... I recently had a similar issue with a Janome Magnolia 7330, and the thing to do was get a repair person to work out the issue. Sorry it may not be the answer you wanted!

A lot of repair locations are still open for curbside. Let us know what happens!

Best,
    Christine, Threads digital content manager

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights