Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Burda #8991 – pants pattern

Gaelen_G | Posted in Patterns on

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Burda cropped pants pattern #8991, which was recommended in Threads this month. How is the fit? I am thinking about making them, but I’ve been disappointed by most of the pants patterns I’ve tried, even though I have pretty “typical” proportions. Thanks!

Replies

1. Elona_Masson | | #1

Gaelen, although I haven't made the Burda cropped pants, I have a lot of experience with Burda patterns, and I can tell you that Burda has about the best pants-fitting pattern you can find. The cut is WAY different from the American patterns, and much more like a real person's bottom. I would recommend getting the pattern and some inexpensive fabric to make a first pair. Do the measurements exactly as the instructions tell you to (this is important for getting the size right) and then use the appropriate cutting or tracing lines (if you want to save the pattern intact). You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

1. Marion_Lane | | #2

*I'm a South African who has recently discovered threads magazine which I think is just wonderful. I'm hoping there is someone out there who can help me with changing the style of a basic pants pattern. I have made the Burda *3752 basic pants pattern and have got it to fit. Now I would like to make some variations to my pants. I would like to know how to change them to flat fronted and elasticated at the back and how I can add some fullness in the thigh area, another words softer pants but not wide legged at the bottom.

1. Getulia_Kress | | #3

*Seeking sailor pants pattern - I've looked everywhere I can think of to find a pattern for women's pants that have a front flap closure (i.e. like sailor's pants). I'd appreciate any suggestion about where I could purchase such a pattern.

1. karen_morris_ | | #4

*Marion, do you have access to back issues of Threads magazine, maybe at your local library? If so, there have been lots of articles about how to restyle and reshape pants. The legs are the easiest area to change; just trace the pattern and draw the legs wider through the thigh area, then taper to the width you want at the knee and ankle. To add elastic to a standard waistband, see Fred Bloebaum's article about Donna Karan's clothes in issue 54, pp. 32 - 37 (the elastic technique is on p. 36). To eliminate pleats, you fold them out of the pattern tissue and trace the new pattern on paper. I hope this quick info helps to get you started. You can also search topics in the Threads index on the website (www.threadsmagazine.com), see what topics are in each back issue, and order back issues from customer service.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights