Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Burda Pattern #8365

JGFLO | Posted in Patterns on

Has anyone tried this new pattern? Where on the internet can you buy Burda Patterns?

Replies

1. kjp | | #2

What is this pattern for?  I use primarily Burda, but group them by type.  Karin

1. JGFLO | | #3

Hi1 Sorry to be so slow with reply--been in Fl without computer doing some rebuilding---The Burda 8365 is a capri, pant pattern. Have you worked with it? I was so disappointed with the tight crotch--smiles. Haven't had that with any other pattern for quite a while and weight hasn't changed. Wish I knew how to adjust it for next use. Flo

1. ElonaM | | #4

If you have smiles, ten to one your crotch seam isn't long enough, whether the cause is full tummy, full rear, full thighs, whatever. Have you done the "stride" measurement, where you tie elastic around your waist, and then run a tape measure between your legs from front waist up to back waist? You hold the tape measure as close to your body as you want your pants to ride, and then compare this measurement with the Burda seamline you have chosen.Also, in my experience, Burda pants are designed to be a little closer-fitted than we are accustomed to in America. Therefore, I always cut my Burda pants with one inch seam allowances for both inseam and outseam. Gives kind of a safety net, you know.Burdas are designed with much closer tolerances in fitting than many patterns. In some cases, the difference between the size lines on their multisize patterns is less than an eighth of an inch, and that eighth of an inch matters when multiplied times four seams; therefore, it's awfully important to measure yourself honestly. Since very few of us are one size all over, it's probable that you will have to trace off different sizes between waist and hip and so on (and it's OK to trace between the printed size lines!). Lots of folks make the mistake of just doing a straight size 14 or whatever.For more instructions on how to fit and alter pants, see if you can find the old Singer book, "Sewing Pants That Fit," maybe at amazon.com or ebay. It has terrific photos. Also, Sandra Betzina has an excellent video and a new dvd on the subject at her website:http://www.sandrabetzinaonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvEdited 12/7/2004 12:16 pm ET by Elona

Edited 12/7/2004 12:25 pm ET by Elona

1. berniejh | | #5

Hi Elona

I've sewn pants and can never get the fit right.   They are usually miles too big around the thighs.  Thanks for the info you've given here, it has inspired me to try again.  If the Burda patterns are a slimmer fit they might just be OK.

Thanks

Bernie

2. JGFLO | | #6

This is terrific advice! Many thanks for taking the time to answer me in such depth. Especially at such a busy season. Merry Christmas! Flo

1. ElonaM | | #7

Hey, with pants, we all need all the help we can get!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights