Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Butterick 4718

solosmocker | Posted in Photo Gallery on

I’ll spare you the details, but this past week I have been banging my head on a brick wall with the construction of a little chenille jacket I am making for a wedding. Anyway, I needed to do something light and easy and this was it.

This little dress whipped up so fast it was just what I needed to set my creativity back on track. It is a definite stash diving compulsive piece of needlework. I am not totally happy with the final design but it was great fun to put together and thats what mattered at the time. I will definitely do this pattern again, Butterick 4718. It was so easy and fast. I used my serger for most of it. I have issues with the directions but will know how to do it “my way” next time and it will be even quicker and easier. I serged and turned the hem and then did a twin needle topstitch. Cover stitch machine? I don’t think so!

So now my little Sophie has something cute to wear to the bridal shower next month.

solo

Replies

1. mustsew | | #1

Sophie is going to make a 'splash' in that dress!  Just too cute.  Always loved making little girl's dresses.  My GD's are now getting too old and prefer the jeans.  It was fun while it lasted, tho.

After seeing Crazy K's dresses made with sergers and now this,  have a bee in my bonnet that I might need one,  we'll see.

Good job,

Marge

2. User avater
    Becky-book | | #2

So cute!!

3. stilltheone | | #3

That is just adorable! I wish I had a girl to sew for.

1. solosmocker | | #4

Thanks to all of you for the lovely compliments!

4. MaryinColorado | | #5

So sweet!  Love the straps which look very comfortable. Mary

1. solosmocker | | #6

Thanks. The straps are gathered where they attach to the bodice front and back so not too skinny and wide enough to stay put.

1. MaryinColorado | | #7

I think I'll try that on some summer dresses if I ever get caught up on pillow shams and curtains! 

I also love that little rick rack flower.  You always add such wonderful personal adornments to your creations.

5. dressed2atee | | #8

Adorable!

6. jatman | | #9

Solo - that is just adorable.  Love the material and the bric-brac (is that what it's called?)

JT

1. Gloriasews | | #11

It's called ric-rac - but you were close enough - we knew what you meant!

Gloria

1. jatman | | #12

I thought I was just a bit off on that one!  It's one of those trims that you don't use much in adult clothing although I don't know why - it's really cute and doesn't have to be little girl-ish.  Thank you for letting me know what it's REALLY called!

JT

1. Gloriasews | | #13

I've seen ric-rac used more in adult clothing recently - especially summer dresses.  The fabric stores don't have much selection, though, either in colour or size.  Years ago, it was available in scads of colours & sizes - would be nice if that selection was brought back.  I like using it, but haven't been able to find it in the colours I need, so I've have been stocking up on black ric-rac for various projects.  That colour always seems to be available - sometimes white, but not the nice bright colours.

1. jatman | | #14

I can't say that I've ever sewn it on anything.  But I may have to look for a thick black type.  I'd like to put several rows on a white summer skirt.  Thanks for making me think about that!

JT

2. Gloriasews | | #15

You're welcome!  Yes, the summer dresses & skirts are mostly black & white (that I've seen with the ric-rac), so you should have no problem getting black ric-rac (I have trouble getting the wider kind, though).  I've also seen it as trim on boleros & jackets, as well as the bottom of capris & slacks, if you have a matching top to go with it.  Good luck!

Gloria

2. Ralphetta | | #16

I have to tell a ric-rac story.  One day when my daughter was about 10, my neighbor came to my door caring her.  He said she'd fallen off her skateboard and he thought her leg was broken.  He suggested I use a splint and said that a sturdy magazine would do a good job.  I did that and took her to the ER. 

It wasn't broken and she was okay in a few days, but ever since then she has kidded me about my choice of materials for her splint.  In my haste, the sturdiest magazine I saw happened to be VOGUE and since I had no twine or string I ran to the sewing room and grabbed an old package of ric-rac.  She said she had the spiffiest splint in the ER!

Hey, it worked great.

1. solosmocker | | #17

Cute story. Thanks for sharing!I used the "jumbo" ricrac on this. I got it at Joanns where there is a fair amount of ricrac available. They also have more colors available in the trims department. I got mine off the Wrights rack. I do like using it. It has kind of a retro feel to it. Thanks again to all for the lovely comments.

Edited 6/14/2007 6:26 pm ET by solosmocker

2. MaryinColorado | | #18

Sew cute!  Thanks for the sweet story.  Mary

3. Gloriasews | | #19

I, too, loved your story - what a classy splint!!!  Those must have been the days when Vogue was a much larger magazine size-wise, eh?  It would have worked much better & firmer than the present-sized magazines. It shows that, in an emergency, we grab what's handy.  Anyway, it was good that she didn't have a broken leg.  Every time I use my ric-rac now, I'll remember your story.

Gloria

1. Ralphetta | | #20

Yes, it was still big at that time and that's one reason I grabbed it. I did n't use much ric-rack because at that time it was all cotton and a big, big, pain to iron. The little points all curl inward and require special attention.  But, I was too cheap to just throw all of it out.

2. Gloriasews | | #21

I know what you mean about the ric-rac curling - it is a nuisance to iron, alright.  I'm still smiling about the Vogue magazine - can you imagine how people would have judged you/jumped to conclusions if you'd used the National Enquirer (several copies) or some other trashy magazine?  Vogue was definitely the classy way to go! (& a good choice because of its size & thickness).

7. Cherrypops | | #10

Delightful and so colourful, sophie will be the belle of the ball. Well done solo. CherryPops

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights