Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Butterick 5457 bodice HELP required!

rouquinne | Posted in Patterns on

i am making this dress View B in size 14 for a friend’s daughter to wear to her graduation on June 29th.

today she came over and we were sewing the main body of the dress after doing the lining last week.

the lining fits perfectly.  but when i finished making the pleats in the front of the bodice, it came out WAY too large.

i double-checked that i cut out the proper size and made the right number of pleats and it’s still too big.

i would be grateful for any suggestions anyone could offer to help me with making this work.

Replies

1. Ralphetta | | #1

If the lining fits and there is a really big difference of the pleated bodice, I would check to be sure that I translated the fold lines on the pattern correctly.  Maybe the fashion fabric wasn't folded as deeply as meant to be. All those lines/dots can be confusing.  If it was, that's still the ideal place to remove excess by just making the pleats deeper.  Maybe someone else has better advice.

1. rouquinne | | #2

i did try to use two different colours of marking pencil for the lines and dots.

the more i look at the pattern, for some reason, i think the last crease line is supposed to go right over to the seam line of the bodice front.  i'm going to try that before i panic and cut a smaller size!

thank you!

1. Ralphetta | | #3

I did trty to use two

the fact that the lining fit would indicate it is something like that.  Hope thats it.

2. rouquinne | | #4

this is one of the WORST patterns i have ever worked with!

C was two different sizes for bust and waist and i cut the smaller size (bust).  when she tried on the completed dress the first time, it was swimming on her!

i took it in almost a full inch on each side and it was STILL too big.

i finally made straps to turn it into a halter so she could wear it.

who the heck puts EASE in a strapless dress pattern???  i should've cut it 2 sizes smaller.....

i've made lots of strapless outfits for myself and never had this much difficulty.  *sigh*

1. User avater
      sheri_sews_n_sews | | #5

Hi do you have a cutting mat or a cutting board?

When I am making patterns, I find out the front measurement across the bust

and then the back measurement across the shoulder blades. I lay out

the pattern pieces and the seam lines should fit the measurements with

a little bit of ease. You can fold the pattern itself to make sure you are

going to wind up with the good final measurement.

I also do this for hips and waists, fronts and backs. These will have

differences, so quickly take your measurements from side to side.

Regards, sheri

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights