Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Chanel in 1983

Elisabeth | Posted in Photo Gallery on

I found a September 1983 Paris Vogue at my mom’s house.  So many amazing photos of haute couture!  Wanted to share two of Chanel suits since we have had some Chanel jacket discussions here recently.

Replies

1. Bernie1 | | #1

Wow!!! Those suits are so gorgeous. Thanks for the photos - and the memories.

2. KarenW | | #2

Those are beautiful!  I'd still wear the first today and the second I'd shorten the skirt or wear with slacks... talk about timeless fashion!

Karen

3. rjf | | #3

Really nice!  Such a change from suits today that look like men's wear.  But I think those models must have spent a fortune on mascara!  Did we really wear that much?   rjf

4. CTI | | #4

Thanks for the photos, I love them Elisabeth! The only thing that came to mind is that the top would lift up at the waist if I raised my hand. The design is divine however for just walking around in and looking Audrey Hepburnish :) 

1. sewanista | | #5

Those suits are gorgeous and so wearable. The first thing I noticed, having been a fashion student back then, was that the sleeves were very high under the arm - which was so not the fashion in the oversized 80's. That means that, counter-intuitively, they wouldn't actually ride up, because the length of the jacket up the side seam and along the sleeve seam to the wrist is almost as long as the body measurement there. If it were a looser jacket with a lower armhole, it would ride up because the length of that area would be less than is necessary for freedom of movement. Chanel was so clever like that.

5. pcraine | | #6

Very cool....does the article say whether these are Lagerfeld?  I think he took over the House in 1980.

Phyllis

1. Elisabeth | | #7

Yes, I think so. It's in french, which I only catch a few words of but is says, "Karl Lagerfeld, creatur de cette collection." The two suits I posted here looked elegant and timeless, not so faddish 80's.It is fun looking at the 80's magazines. Outside of the humongous shoulder pads and some other funky things there were some incredibly comfortable styles. Good looking clothes in wonderful fabrics with some room to live and move and a selection of very attractive flat shoes.

1. pcraine | | #8

Wow that's really interesting....I aksed because in May I saw the Chanel exhibit at the Met (it was 50/50 Chanel and Lagerfeld) and his designs in the show, even the earlier ones, clearly showed the revsionist view of Chanel for which he's famous.  Although none of his designs in the exhibit were as early as 1980.  The two pix you posted are far more "authentic" than the later designs he produced for the House,

Thanks for posting those!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights