Simplicity 3978, two years in a row!!!
I have to say, I’m so very proud of myself. I started this year’s dress late (Thursday night) and had everything complete by bedtime Saturday. I used the same pattern as last year’s dress, since it was already cut out, and even though last year’s dress still fits, DD insisted on a NEW dress, of course! So, having bought the most 3 coordinating, wonderful cottons from our local quilt shop, I knew I wanted to incorporate all the fabrics somehow. The base fabric is a pink floral on a light blue field, which I absolutely love. I decided to do a color block hemline, as is so popular in RTW right now, and used the same color (pink) to bind the sleeves. As I was completing the bodice, I decided that it needed a little extra length, as my 4 year old did grow in the last year! So I cut a 3″ wide strip of the 3rd fabric (light blue) for a waistband, and added a very thin strip of the pink in the center. Easter in Michigan is always iffy with the weather (it did snow after dinner), and I don’t mind paying $8/yd for cotton that is high quality (and machine washable). She will use this dress a lot this year, as I love it and so does she. Having so much success modifying a pattern is new to me, so I think I will invest in some tracing paper for the future, that way I can keep re-using the patterns regardless of size.
Both dresses are pictured below.