Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Feb 2007: Who makes what sergers where?

sewnutt1 | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I am buying a new serger, replacing my Husqvarna 56ED 3/4 differential feed.

Trust me, I have done my research.   BUT I WANT TO KNOW where are each of the brands made AND what is the name of the company that makes them.   Please be specific in countries, not just continents!   Please be up to date for February, 2007. Thank you!

Replies

1. User avater
    Thimblefingers | | #1

You are asking for a lot.  For most makes, different models come from different companies and different countries.  Unless you are in the "know", most companies are not willing to divulge who actually makes their machines, unless it's a high end machine which is made specifically by them.   The country, however, should be on the machine.  And this is also often a case of "assembled in" - the parts are not necessarily made in that country.  And to top it off, this information changes all the time as companies are bought and sold and models come and go.

1. sewnutt1 | | #2

I know that it was really a mundane question to ask!   My husband sells auto parts for the aftermarket---numerous items made and repackaged for sale!

I did read back on the message boards and found more info.  I probably will not be influenced much by where it is made but rather if it has the options I need, will operate in a manner I expect it to, and I WILL HAVE A DEALER TO SERVICE IT WHEN NEEDED!

1. MaryinColorado | | #3

Years ago I was told they were all made in Korea and Taiwan.  Don't know thesedays.

2. Betakin | | #4

All sergers have patents from Japan I am told. The Pfaff coverlock sergers and Elna 744 and Elna 945 are made in Japan and I was told in the same factory. The sergers take the same feet and have similar design.  I believe Janome NewHome and the Janome made Kenmore models are all from Taiwan however the Janome Compulock might be made in Japan, but I am uncertain. Elna now has some new sergers one being a 5 thread coverlock and 2 non coverhem models. Since Janome now heads Elna USA I am unsure if these newer models are still made in Japan. Elna was distibuted by Tacony but no longer is since Janome now heads them.

Older Juki and Babylock models are made in Japan but I am uncertain about newer models. Juki also makes Bernina or Bernette models. Babylock and Simplicity are distributed by Tacony. Simplicity sergers are from Taiwan.

2. spicegirl | | #5

Why not pick the brand and model you like and the dealer you like then ask them where it is made?  Can you ask the manufactures via their websites?

3. Elna | | #6

I think it is good to know where the machines come from,but none to my knowledge are made other then in Japan. Japan has  exclusive rights to serger design. This was told to me by my Pfaff dealer. I purchased the Pfaff 4852 about 6 months ago. Although I had a serger Hobbylock 752 for 15 years this new one is a bit difficult to thread and switch from stitch to stitch. I have also heard that the Elna and the Pfaff are made in the same factory. Threads magazine had an article last year on sergers, maybe you could just look for what features you want. I wouldn't be to concerned with where the sergers are made. When I got my new serger I wanted the coverstitch, chain stitch, and an easy access to a rolled lettuce edge stitch. I got all of these but the changing from a five thread to say a two thread is not as easy as I would have liked.

Elna

(Yes ,this is my real Swedish name)

1. Betakin | | #7

I had the Pfaff 4842 which is a very nice serger. I was going to trade up to the 4852 5 thread for the coverhem but instead I purchased my Elna 744 because I wanted the 3 coverhems and the triple seam Coverhem that the 4852 did not have. The Bernina 009 Coverhem only machine was the same price as I paid for my 744 and the Bernina also did not offer the 3 coverhem stitches.

Some sergers do seem to take more time than others to convert to coverhem. My Elna is a 4 thread and I don't have to change the foot or the plate to convert to coverhem or chain stitches. It has the automatic tensions too that make changing stitches quick. I think the Pfaff 4862 is very similar to the Elna 744 with the auto tensions and also being only a 4 thread but the 4862 also did not have the triple seam coverhem. I think the needle placement is also quite different with the Elna tilt needle bar. The 2 needle postions in back are for serged stitches and the 3 needle postions in front are for the cover hem and chain. I also like that I can stitch off the fabric doing a coverhem using the needle tension release button. The Pfaff models also have this feature I believe. I think that the Elna and Pfaff Coverlock models are very heavy duty sergers as compared to some others.

I have owned several brands and models of sergers and used to sell them and give classes on them. I have loved all of the sergers that I have owned. All worked well. There are many sergers on the market today that do the job well. It is always best to test drive if possible before making a purchase because some models might prove to be more comfortable in using for the buyer than other models.

1. hoddick | | #8

I am looking at sergers for a university costume shop where many students use the machine. Do you have any experience with the new babylocks called emagine? I need a very basic serger/roll hemmer...
        hoddick

1. Betakin | | #9

hoddick, you might want to check out the on line reviews by owners of the different brand sergers at PatternReview. I think the Babylock Imagine is a very highly rated serger.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights