Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

French Curve

Sue Berg | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I am looking for a french curve that has a space 5/8″ from the outside curve that allows you to draw your sewing line, or vise versa. I saw one last night at a class. The lady who had it said she found it a couple of years ago and has not seen one since. Sure made my life easier using that one instead of the one I have. Does anyone know where I can find one?


  1. rekha | | #1

    I have Shoben french curve that has 5/8" + a lot more and it's Metric


    1. LindaG | | #4

      HiI never imagined that such a thing could be made! I ended up using a sharpie and a ruler to mark a line 5/8" from the edge on inner and outer curves of my various sizes so that I can add seam allowances to patterns that I have traced.Linda

      1. starzoe | | #5

        Did you notice that the 6" metal ruler with the moving button is exactly 5/8" wide? It's a great tool to mark seam allowance.

        1. Teaf5 | | #6

          Measuring tapes (those 60" ones for taking body measurements) are also 5/8" wide.  They're always easy to find in your sewing room, and you can do curved areas by doing a sequence of dots or dashes.

          1. starzoe | | #7

            Oh yes, I forgot about that one. Used on edge it is a good measurement tool curves (necklines, etc.) I have two flexible (rubber, plastic?) measurers but neither of them are 5/8" wide, one is 1/2" and 1 cm on side and the other is centimeters both edges. I work mostly in metric so they do come in handy. When I am making patterns I usually use the 1/2" marker for s/a.

  2. sewelegant | | #2

    I have one that I purchased at JoAnns not too long ago.  I just went to look at it to see who made it, but it is not printed on the item.  It is called "A Curve and a Square" and is stubbier than the long French curve ruler.  It takes up about 8" X 14" in space and has a side that can be used as a square and the other edge is just like the french curve but a little shorter.  What you are interested in... the 5/8" mark is available on both edges.  It is see-through plastic with red markings.  I would keep looking at notions walls because it is fairly new, but out there and I love it!

    1. Sue Berg | | #3

      Thanks for the information. I am not really good with a french curve. The open grove at the 5/8" mark makes it easy for me to place my markings when pattern fitting a garmet. I am going to Joann's today. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

  3. PatsyS | | #8

    I bought a french curve from Atlanta Thread & Supply.  Here's their website:


    Good luck!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All