Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads


avsje | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Hej frÃ¥n Sweden! I have been searching everywhere for help, no one seems to know what I mean. I hope you can help me. I was watching TV, the second season premier of Lie To Me. Jennifer Beal was wearing a light grey suit with black trim, but the black trim was located at each seam. It was beautiful! How can someone section each pattern piece to where the seam is either trimmed or piped? It looked as if parts of the under collar was visible. And that some black material was injected into the seam to become visible. See the Fox interview of Lie To Me with Jennifer Beal and examine the suit she is wearing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoxJmjYhALA&feature=related Please help and explain this type of sewing, please! Also send pattern name and number of any similar type trim/stitching. I must make this suit. Tack sÃ¥ mycket! Avsjö [email protected]


  1. Teaf5 | | #1

    What a lovely suit! The trim appears to be made of the same fabric as the suit with a black satin overcast on the outer fold and black topstitching where it attaches to the garment. Threads did an article recently about adding seams as design interest (rather than for necessity), and several of the examples showed piped seams that could be adapted. Any flat pattern piece can be slashed and recombined with seam allowances and any kind of standard seam finish, so have fun!

  2. Ckbklady | | #2

    Hi there!

    Yes, she does look lovely in that suit, what little of it I could see. It looks to me like the designer embedded flat piping in the lapel seams, then topstitched 1cm or so in from the edge.

    I couldn't see much of the suit, but I think that the jacket style is somewhat similar to a couple of Marfy patterns, which are Italian and should be easy enough for you to find in Europe.

    If you want to look at them, go to voguepatterns.com and click on "Other Brands" at the bottom of the left-hand column. Then under "Jackets" look for Marfy 1052, 1053 and less so, but possibly 1635. They're each just patterns for the jackets - no trousers to make a suit. Any slim pant with the added piping down the side seam might be nice.

    You might also want to Google "Jil Sander", an American designer who frequently dresses Jennifer Beals. Pictures from her runway shows might help you when looking for a pattern.(And yes, her name is Jill but she spells it "Jil")

    Good luck!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Subscribe to Threads today

Save up to 42% and get a free gift


Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All


Shop the Store

View All
View More