Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

I don’t know the name of what I need???

user-175744 | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Hi.  This is my first time using this message center but I love threads magazine and wish I had more time to sew.  I have two small children and my own business so there is very little time for hobbies right now. 

However, I am currently making several cycling jerseys (for part of my business) and I am searching for a strechable armhole binding…I have a coverstitch machine which I will use to attatch this but I can’t seem to find what I am looking for.  I have used regular bias tape but this doesn’t provide enough stretch because the jerseys are made out of a very lightweight knit fabric. 

I also would like to find a binding tape to use to join the top edge of a handbag together (instead of attatching a lining and then turning it inside right).  I have seen handbags with leather trim like this but I can’t seem to find it.  I would also like to find this kind of trim for other items I make like placemats, etc…  Any ideas where to find these kind of trims?  I have tried many online stores with no like but maybe I am not calling them the right name???

I would love any ideas, insight, feedback from you…from the posts I have read this is a place with a wealth of information and knowledge.

Thank you for reading my post and for any help you can provide.




  1. user-172042 | | #1

    It sounds like you need rib knit, you know, the kind that is made in a tube. If not that, you could cut knit on the bias and make your own, couldn't you.

    What is the binding tape made out of?

  2. MaryinColorado | | #2

    Have you tried using clear elastic?  I agree with the other response also.  There is a knit bias binding but I don't know where to find it online.  I am not sure what you are looking for regarding the purses, ultrasuede? or leather? or?  Mary

  3. cafms | | #3

    There was something called active binding that is used to bind fleece garment edges.   It came in a couple widths but I haven't seen it lately.  You can also use swimsuit fabric that has lycra in it cut crossgrain in what ever width you need.  Stitch it to the right side then fold it over to the wrong side and stitch-in-the-ditch from the right side.  Knits can be cut on the crossgrain rather than the bias and it works very well.  Can you use the self fabric cut crossgrain as the binding?

    Would strips of Ultrasuede work for the purses?

  4. joy | | #4

    I have in stock packages of nylon/lycra trim strips - 2" wide x 6 yards long - $7.98/pkg. - available in black, white, navy, red, purple, forest green. Contact me for further info.

  5. SewNancy | | #5

    I have seen a ready made stretch satin binding sold for use with fleece or any excercise stretchy clothing. MY local fabric store had it. Why don't you try some of the on line stores.

  6. User avater
    Becky-book | | #6

    check out the newest Threads mag, it has an article on armhole bindings for stretch wear.

    and I have often used self-fabric bindings for knit, cut cross grain, not bias.


  7. Kilroywashere | | #7

    The pendelton woolen mills seconds store in Washougal Washington has ultrasuede binding for their high-end blanket edging - what colors they have depends on what day you call...  It would be perfect for binding the edge of a purse or bag. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All