Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Is the Brother CS 8060 any good?

Dave_D | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Hi All, I just bought a Brother CS 8060, but can easily return it at Target (not opened yet).  Has anyone heard if this is a reliable sewing machine?

My wife has wanted to get a sewing machine for some time now.  She has not sewn since she was in 4H as a grade schooler.  For Christmas, I bought a Brother CS 8060 because it has an automatic thread loader and what seemed to be simple computer controls.  However, I don’t know much about sewing machines.  I’m concerned that these newer computerized machines (with fancy things like auto thread loading) may be more prone to breaking down.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Dave

Replies

1. Elisabeth | | #1

You can read some reviews of this and similar Brother machines at http://www.patternreview.com For serious reliability, service, and upgrade options brands like Viking (Husqvarna), Pfaff, and Bernina are better bets but a bit more pricey.

What a great Christmas present!

2. HeartFire | | #2

There is one thing I don't like about brother sewing machines _ it drives me nuts, the needle, when you turn the machine on to start sewing is in the far left needle position, you can move it to the center, but they ALL start that way. I wont' sew on one for that reason alone!
    just my $.02
    Judy

1. carolfresia | | #3

Judy, I noticed that, too, when I upgraded from a mechanical to a computerized Brother machine a while back. I was used to sewing with the needle in the center position. However, on my machine, the left needle position is set to stitch a 5/8-inch seam allowance if you use the 1.5 cm seam guide on the stitch plate. If you move the needle to the center position, your seam allowances will be a little narrower. I got used to the left needle position after a few sewing sessions.

Carol

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights