Threads Logo Threads Logo Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Is this braided or swimsuit elastic?

BellaGabriella | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

I hope I can describe this correctly. When in its natural state it looks like regular elastic but when pulled it looks like a grid. It’s stretchier than regular elastic and sews much nicer. It also seems thinner but maybe that’s the gridding.

I discovered it in my baggie of remnant elastic and it is wonderful for doll clothes casings and elastic gathers. I only have a bit of the 1/4″ left and would love to get more but am not sure what it’s called.

Does anyone know?


  1. Crazy K | | #1

    It might be what is called 'knitted elastic' rather than woven or braided elastic.  Not sure without a picture. 

    Try this link:

    You may have to navigate around a bit but I think it should come up with the knitted elastic page.  The picture is small but maybe you can see.......and the narrow does sort of have a 'grid' look to it.  I use it for sleeves and children's mittens........

    Hope this is helpful


This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Subscribe to Threads today

Save up to 42% and get a free gift


Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All


Shop the Store

View All
View More