Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Issue 136-A commentary

Rabia | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

I have been reading Threads for a long time now, and I would like to get something off my chest about issue 136. That article on Christian Lacroix…I have to say that the clothes featured in the article were the ugliest and most trashy-looking RAGS I have EVER seen in Threads magazine! I don’t “get” Dominique Fallecker; there she is, wearing an AMAZING coat that she embroidered herself…it is the only piece in the article that looks worthwhile; everything else looks mismatched, ill-fitting, and like something one would expect to find in the dumpster out back at the local thrift shop! Yet she idolizes the person who came out with all this junk! I stopped reading Vogue YEARS ago because I got sick of all the garbage being fobbed off on the public as “couture”. I much prefer the Thread’s “Design Challenges”; one can see there clothing that takes one’s breath away, rather than causing exclamations of disgust.

Just look at “Revisit Retro Details”in the same issue; now THAT’s design and quality! Compare THAT to page 70, where we are expected to ooh and ahh over a horrendous yellow sack with an equally idiotic piece of headgear, and a mismatched, tasteless outfit with the ridiculous caption “Lacroix is a master of every aspect of design, colour, pattern shape and line…” yadda yadda. Oh PUH-leazzze! I was MUCH more impressed with the design skills of Cirque Productions (p. 59) and “Backstage At the Opera”(p 35). All THOSE designers clearly have more talent in their BIG TOES that C. Lacroix has in his whole BODY. Did anyone else get their breath taken away by Ken King’s green tweed jacket  with the brocade lining?(p. 69) I sure did! Now THAT’s design!

I relly DON’T know why nominally intelligent people bother to blindly idolize “big-name” designers, when they themselves have plenty of talent of their own, unless it’s so they can ‘get a rise’ out of people when they say “Oh, it’s a “Christian Lacroix”. It’s gotten so it’s all about the LABEL and NOT the clothes themselves; that’s why these people don’t have to bother with good design anymore, they can throw together any old thing and people will pay big money to wear it! Thanks, but I see more quality and creativity in one issue of Threads than I have in Vogue for a LONG LONG time. Given a choice, I’d rather wear a “Dominique Fallecker” design than a “Christian Lacroix” ANY DAY.

Rabia

Replies

1. damascusannie | | #1

AMEN!!!!

2. katina | | #2

Does anyone remember Edina in Ab Fab - 'It's Lacroix, darling!"

Katina

3. BernaWeaves | | #3

I haven't seen this issue because I quit subscribing to Threads just because of this sort of thing.  I was uninspired to sew based on the clothing shown in the magazine.  The only issue I kept was the one on vintage clothing that came out about a year ago.

Berna

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights