Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

issue # 145

joanfitzu | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

How do I get the glove pattern by John Koch to increase to the correct size? The 4 squares = 2″ and it has made the pattern way too big. So I am doing something wrong.

Replies

1. marymary | | #1

I also have been unable to enlarge the pattern to the correct size.  This article was very timely for me as I was contemplating making a pair of gloves.

1. joanfitzu | | #2

I'm glad it isn't just me! I don't want to waste any more time or money on this until I get an answer.

2. cafms | | #3

Here https://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/8892/patterns-for-gorgeous-gloves it mentions that the original pattern was reduced 64%.  Could you specify 64% enlargement on the copier? 

1. starzoe | | #4

In the "magazine extras" part of Threads Magazine site a mention is made in the comments about proportional scale calculators. Google it and you find many different listings for them. What an eye-opener for me; perhaps it will help with the gloves, I know it is something I'll be using for a number of applications.

Edited 9/1/2009 1:32 am ET by starzoe

2. Teaf5 | | #5

I'm not a mathematician, but reducing and enlarging by the same number won't result in the original size, and a copy machine will enlarge only by percentages greater than 100.  But even if you happen upon the calculus required to get it back to the original size pattern, how would you know it would fit you?

If you have access to a good copier, maybe enlarging at 110, 120, 130% would give you a ballpark size, or if you want an old-fashioned (and easy) way to re-scale the pattern, post again.

I'm in awe of anyone taking on the task of making gloves, no matter what technique they use!

1. marymary | | #6

Since we all seem to be having trouble enlarging the glove pattern, I did some research and found this -  http://vintagesewing.info/1950s/50-hmg/hmg-02.html#patterns It tells you how to measure to make a pattern to fit you.

Vogue also has some glove patterns and Vogue is on sale at Hancocks right now. 

Edited 9/6/2009 9:53 am ET by marymary

1. Malindi | | #7

I too checked Vogue Patterns for gloves. They have three patterns 8608, 8311 (particulsrly elegant), and 7949. If you Google Vogue Patterns you can view them all.

2. cafms | | #8

I printed the medium size pattern from the website as it says 6 1/2 - 7 and I usually wear a size 7.  When the screen for the printer came up it said "Scale to fit paper".  I did one that way and then realized that I could print without scaling to fit the paper, which distorts the shape some. This resulted in a bit larger size.  I thought probably it would actually be the size the editors intended one to use.  I took that copy to Office Depot today and asked them to enlarge it 64% which they did.  In the online piece it says to measure around your hand below the fingers.  It also says to measure the pattern below the slash lines for the fingers to see if the pattern will fit you.  The medium size pattern that was enlarged 64% measures 7 1/2 inches now.  My hand measured 7 inches.   The squares came out at one inch each as the article said it should. It looks very big but it is two sides together opened out and I do think it is a longer than wrist length.  I measured the middle finger pieces with the two fourchette pieces minus the S/A and it will slip over my finger nicely.  The article says to trim the finger length as needed.  The pattern will fit on an 11 x 17 inch sheet of paper.  I think the size printed off the computer would make a child sized glove as is.

You do need to be sure they understand to enlarge the pattern not reduce it.  

I really didn't see why if it was reduced 64% it couldn't be enlarged by the same amount and be the original size, no math involved.  Worked out for me.

1. User avater
          Deana | | #9

Please look at the post for the glove pattern for a note from the author on the glove sizing and printing:

https://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/8892/patterns-for-gorgeous-gloves

1. cafms | | #13

Thanks.  I was able to confirm that the way I did it created a pattern that is the right size.  But I did not do it the way it is suggested in the post. 

2. User avater
          stitchhappy | | #11

I'm sorry, that way won't work. We reduced the pattern so that it would fit on 8 1/2X11 paper, which is the size paper in most home printers. You would have to print one that size, measure the squares, determine the percent enlarment needed and then print again at that percent. I think that would work.

Enjoy!

1. cafms | | #12

Thank you but it did work perfectly.  The squares are exactly one inch each using my C-thru ruler.  The pattern measures 10 1/2 inches as John says in the post on the website that the medium size should measure.  I think the secret is to not let the printer scale the image to fit the paper.  I selected "none" on the "scale to fit paper" option on the printing page.  There was a little bit of the very bottom curve on the glove that did not print but most of the line was there and I could free hand the curved shape.  At Office Depot I asked them to enlarge it 64% and now it measures as John says it should.  It is printed on 11x17 inch paper.  I had them print it in two sections with the glove on one sheet and the two smaller pieces on another because I wasn't sure it would all fit on one but laying them together it looks like they probably would. 

3. User avater
    stitchhappy | | #10

If the adjusted squares measure one inch each, you're right. The pattern may look large but try it.  Maybe you need a smaller size.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights