Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Janome 6500 versus 6600

Dianna | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Well after 23 years and a least 1M miles my Viking 6690 died and they stopped estimating at $7-800.

I’ve tried Vikings, Pfaffs, the Janome 6600 and Janome 6500.  The most important  factor in selecting the manufacturer was the issue of maintenance and how they handled the machines and customers.  Viking fell out of the competition early.  It took me 2 tries to locate a Pfaff dealer who would schedule an appointment.  I stumbled into Janome based on the Threads 2-year old comparion chart, and because of the 9-inch throat.

I really like the Janome machines and am down to the 6500 versus the 6600.  Major differences that I can detect that are important to me are the Start/Stop button (which you can use instead of the foot pedal) and the 2 lights on the 6600.

Does anyone have an opinion about either of these features or machines? 

Replies

1. stitchintime | | #1

I just bought a Janome 4900QC about a month ago and I love the extra light it gives and the start/stop button feature. It also comes with a pedal that you can use instead of the stop/start button but I hurt my back about 6 months ago so now I can sit properly at the machine and just push the button to stop and start. I know the 6000 series is more powerful than my machine but I don't sew professionally. I'm not sure though that the 6000's have a free arm so you should check that out if it's important to you. Overall the Janome sews very nicely and I'm very pleased. 

You should also check sewing.patternreview.com for their reviews of the machines you are considering.

1. User avater
      Dianna | | #2

Thanks for the feedback and web site.

2. kbzieg | | #3

I have recently purchased the 6600. It is an excellent machine. One of the best things about it is that it comes with the accufeed-walking foot standard. They now sell a 1/4 foot, an open toe foot and a stitch in the ditch accufeed foot. I hardly ever use the non accufeed feet.
    It also can sew without the foot pedal,with multiple speed options, has two lights and when you finish a seam, it will cut the thread.

I have always had bernina machines, and purchased this because of the larger throat area, but have found it to be an outstanding machine.
    I absolutely love this machine.

1. User avater
      Dianna | | #4

Thanks for the info. 

Both the 6500 and 6600 have walking feet (the 6600 'seems' more substantial, but its a reasonable $29 part).  My husband thnks I should go for the 6600 and get the top of the line.  The Start/Stop button and second light seem to be the real differences.

I'm very close to finalizing my selection, hoping to visit with a few Janome folks this afternoon (who are in the area to set up for a four day sewing class).

Thanks again for the comments.

Dianna

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights