Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Keep or replace 1966 Singer?

mmmason2 | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on
I have a question about my sewing machine.
I have been very happy with a Singer Touch and Sew 626.  The machine was built around 1966.  I have not had any problems with it until just recently.  The bobbin thread was all gnarled.  I took it in for service and was told I would need a new ‘bobbin winder drive’ .  The part would have to be ordered and it would cost $65.  Labor would cost $150.
I could buy a new machine for around $100 – but should I?  I’m not inclined – but am I being impractical?  I do household sewing – I want something practical and durable.  I really want to keep my old machine, but is that practical?
I would really like your opinion.
Thanks!

Replies

1. Pattiann42 | | #1

Singer Touch 'N Sew

Keep it.  You cannot find equal quality for the price of repairs. 

I had one from the same era and use it for many, many years.  Then, I foolishly gave it to the Goodwill because I thought I had too many sewing machines.  WRONG!  You can never have too many sewing machines.

I sorta recovered from my mistake when I found a 500A (nicknamed the Rocketeer) at an estate sale for $5.  I sews great.

2. tapettre | | #2

Good year for Singer

Most of the best singer products are from the pre-1990's, IMO. 

Although the electric versions post 1990's promise a better value, the old models are far more durable though.

I recommend you keep it. I might be sentimental, tho...so try to weigh your options first. 

Edit: Didn't realize this was an older post..But the idea is pretty much the same. I'd always keep an older working model over new ones. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights