Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Kwik-Sew Bra Pattern 1018

Anastasi_ | Posted in Patterns on

I just bought Kwik-Sew’s Bra Pattern 1018. It calls for a fabric called “power net.” What is it, and can I substitute a cotton/lycra blend for it and the nylon tricot?

Replies

1. Cecile_Moore | | #1

I have a store-bought sports bra that has a stretchy netting kind of fabric on the back panels for coolness. Just a guess, but could they mean that stuff? Try some place like G Street Fabrics in DC, they have like a city block of fabrics and a mail order service.

1. lin_hendrix | | #2

*Hi Anastasi, Power net is just that, a very strong, very supportive stretchy netting. You'll find it on lots of ready made bras. Unfortunately for home sewers the color choices are pretty limited; black, white, nude or champagne. The best sources for this type of knit and most other bra supply stuff that I've found are three shops. Here are their web sites:http://www.bramakers.com/http://www.laceland.com/http://www.sewsassy.com/--lin

1. Anastasi_ | | #3

*Hi lin, Thanks for the sources. I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. I'm pretty sure that power net is nylon, but I'd like to use a natural fiber substitute - I'm allergic to nylon. I was wondering if a cotton/lycra blend would work.

1. lin_hendrix | | #4

*Hi Anastasi, Power net is pretty firm stuff. I haven't seen a cotton lycra blend that is firm enough. Can you wear poly? That stretch satin that seems to be available (like the popular Victoria's Secret bra) is pretty firm and could probably do the job. I believe it's poly and lycra. Another idea would be to add a wide band of firm non-nylon elastic to the lower edge of the bra (instead of the skinny elastic called for). Width should be from bottom edge to just below the cups. I've done something similar in two bustiers I made and it really added some support. Or perhaps try using your firmest cotton lycra with the Elan pattern 530. It doesn't have the band all the way around. For extra support you could interface the little triangle in the center front. It also has fairly wide straps which add a little more support to the whole bra (depends on if you like wider straps tho'). This pattern usually calls for that stretch satin stuff. I haven't sewed a bra yet but I'm really close. I've got the two patterns 1017 and 503 and some underwires. I've been debating (to myself) that powernet stuff mostly because I wanted a bra in a not white/black color.--lin

1. Anastasi_ | | #5

*I can't wear polyester, either, except for microfiber. If there's a firm enough knit I may try it. I work near Greenberg & Hammer, so if I actually see and touch the stuff, I might be able to compare. Also, color doesn't bother me too much, as I like basic black/white/tan underwear.

2. D | | #6

*I wouldn't recommend ordering supplies from Bramakers.com.I've been waiting nearly six weeks for an order, and they consistently ignore emails. Customer service, in my experience, is the PITS!! Cynthia Elan, on the other hand, has been quite helpful, as was Sew Sassy several years ago.

3. Anastasi_ | | #7

*I stopped by Greenberg and Hammer last week. The "power net" was no more firm than the cotton/lycra I have at home. I think I'll take a plunge next weekend

4. Beverly_Johnson | | #8

*Here's something I use in classes where an allergy to nylon is a problem yet the extra support is needed. Use two layers of a cotton lycra, or alternately use a layer of power net and a layer of cotton underneath it to keep the nylon from touching the skin. Any time you use two layers of strtch fabric together, you reduce the amount of stretch in both. That's why you often see sports bras with a double layer of fabric in the front. As far the comment earlier about Bra-makers Supply, I am the owner and it's hard to answer emails if a correct return address is not included with the email. I personally answer all bra-making questions as I am VERY concerned anout bra fit...

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights