Threads Logo Threads Logo Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Machine drying pique?

joress | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

I learn so much from all of you, I know you can help me. This week I purchased some cotton stretch pique. Both pieces by the same manufacturer, so I don’t know why the content is different. One piece is 97 percent cotton, 3 percent Lycra. The other is 97 percent cotton, 3 percent polyester. (I haven’t noticed before “stretch” anything using polyester instead of Lycra, so this was new to me.) Both fabrics were marked “machine wash cool, line dry.” As I will be washing the fabric before constructing the garment, which would take care of potential shrinkage, any reason why these pieces can’t be washed and machine dried? Can anyone predict a negative result? I was hoping the resulting garments would be wash and wear with just a little pressing to spiff them. Thanks for your help.

Replies

  1. marijke | | #1

    Joress:

    I haven't used stretch pique, but I have put other cotton/lycra (woven stretch fabrics) into the washer and dryer. I don't see any reason the pique would be different. If you are concerned and if the fabric was pricey, maybe you could toss a small piece into the washer and dryer and see how it holds up before washing the entire length?

    Marijke

    1. joress | | #2

      Thanks, Marijke. It seemed to me the fabric should hold up beautifully. They were only three dollars a yard (down from about nine!). I bought 6-7 yards of each for pants and jackets for work--they're a solid navy and solid black, which would be perfect for most of the year. I figured the little bit of lycra would help the garments hold their shape better throughout the day. I can't see much of a loss if there's a problem. You've reassured me!

      1. marijke | | #3

        Joress:

        Given that the fabric is dark colors, you may want to wash the items you make from it inside out. It helps preserve the color a bit better, although dark colors on cotton always fade. I wear lots of black and lots of natural fibers. I don't mind a bit of fading (gives character to clothes).

        Has anyone on the list tried those new detergents that claim to be for dark colors and to preserve the dye? I'd be curious to know whether they do what they promise.

        Marijke

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Subscribe to Threads today

Save up to 42% and get a free gift

Subscribe

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All

Highlights

Shop the Store

View All
View More