Threads Logo Threads Logo Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

machine presser feet

chiel | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on


     Has anyone heard of an edgestitch foot and an edge joining foot?  Do these have other names?  Is an edge joining foot considered a hemmer foot with the metal guide bar?  I can’t seem to find these feet for my machine-Janome Travelmate.   Can other specialty feet be used in place of these?  I have always used my standard foot to do edge stitching.

What is a point turner?  Is it like a stilleto?

I’m going to take a class and these items are on the supply list.  I can’t seem to find enough info about these things in my books, magazines or on the Janome web site.

Any info would be great.



  1. Jean | | #1

    Here is a picture of an edge joining foot.

    This is an edgestitch foot.

    View Image

    Here's a simple point turner

    View Image

    I'll bet that you already have a foot that can be used instead of these and I've even used a knitting needle as a point turner.

    Have a wonderful time with your class! Sewing is fun!!

  2. suesew | | #2

    An edge stitching foot would have a little finger that holds the thread out over the edge of the sewn fabric. Without that little finger the fabric would just collaspe on itself, looking like a rolled hem in some instances. Many classes request that you have speciality feet so that they can sell you the feet. I have taught at a store where the manufacturer wanted each class to use l0 salable items in each class - they would have you changng feet every two minutes. Rarely do you actually need to do that. If they are teaching you useful skillls with those feet it may be worthwhile. My favorite point turner is a wooden skewer - the kind sold and used for shisk-ka-bobs, they are cheap and won't break your needle is you use them to guide sewing.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Subscribe to Threads today

Save up to 42% and get a free gift


Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All


Shop the Store

View All
View More