Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

McCalls #5556 view A – (Tunic Top) PLEASE HELP!

cramsahoi | Posted in Teach Yourself To Sew on

This pattern is giving me alot of headaches!   I”m stuck on # 8 – 13 of the instructions.   The peices for the front collar/placket thing do not fit together properly as shown in the instructions!   The instructions do not state if the peices should be put together wrong sides to together or a different way.   I’ve tried manipulating it a million different ways and cannot get it to work.  This pattern is rated “easy” and it’s not! 

Replies

1. User avater
    thomy | | #1

Pattern flaws

Hi, check out a site for pattern reviews to see if this one has been reviewed.

Don't assume the instruction are flawless.  I struggled with a jacket I made in the fall and after I found the pattern review site I realized I wasn't the only one.  Also, what may be clear as crystal to the pattern designer may not be clear to the rest of us.  Also, check to make sure you cut each piece the same size. I once cut a bodice piece one size and a facing another size.  Obviously this did not work.  Try to post a pic of the pattern pieces, instructions themselves and the fabric pieces you have cut/sewn and are working with.  That might help.  Hope this helps!

1. User avater
      thomy | | #2

pattern flaws - review web sites

Im sorry, I meant to suggest the one site I know of...of course there must be others (just do a google search).

Try this site http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/addprofile.pl.

Good luck.

2. shortorderof3 | | #3

Pattern Help

I know the feeling. I have had a horrible time with McCalls instructions. I prefer Simplicity patterns for they are a bit clearer. I may even have the same pattern that you are having problems with and now I'm afraid to try it!  Try to go to the McCalls website and see if they can offer some information that may help you figure things out. I wish I could be of more help.  Good luck and when you get the tunic finished you may want to just frame your prize and put it up on the wall for everyone to see what trouble you went to.

Have a blessed day.

Whitney

3. alotofstitches | | #4

McCalls5556

Since I don't have your instruction sheet it's hard to help.  I know the collar would be an (a) interfaced collar  & (b) same pattern piece but used as a collar facing.  The front placket--is it a right and left front but cut so that the placket folds forming the facing?  Or do you have 4 pcs ( R & L plackets and placket facings)?  Both front plackets will need interfacing as well.  At the bottom of the placket, how does the pattern show it to be sewn to the tunic front.  Were you to mark dots and clip? 

Liz

4. rekha | | #5

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights