My Burda Saga
After two muslins being mailed to NM and finally an in-person fitting at Christmas time, I finished this project for my DD started in October. Some may remember my puzzlement with this pattern (Burda 8000), expressed at length on this forum, when the bust length measurement seemed way too short…it WAS too short, and anyone who tries this pattern would do well to measure the pattern from neckline/shoulder intersection to bust point as it does not come close to what the printed fitting chart says. What with waiting for communications with the Burda technical people to be translated, etc., and Thanksgiving and other interruptions to sewing, my fall sewing project is finally finished with spring in sight. Well, it was fun nevertheless, and I learned a lot about fitting and pattern alterations that I’ve never tried before.
I’m trying to attach some photos. Forgive me if the details are difficult to see; for the life of me I couldn’t get the light right to show accurately the beautiful deep browns and reds of the fabrics. Following some suggestions made here in Gatherings, I made some changes to the dress and vest, so they don’t appear the same as is shown on the pattern envelope.
With sincerest thanks to all here who advised and supported me in my difficulties,
Joan Oops, I seem to’ve uploaded the waist detail, twice, so don’t click on one. :>/
Josefly - that is absolutely adorable. Great job!
Very nice!! Perseverance pays off!!
Josefly,I can see the leaf detail, but I can't see everything else very well. I wish I could see the whole outfit. I'm glad you got it done. Congratulations. Post more pictures. Thanks,Marcy
The finished outfit is on the way to NM, but my DD has offered to take some pictures, so hopefully they'll be better than the ones I could get.
Edited 1/16/2007 7:13 pm ET by Josefly
Oh good. I can't wait.Marcy
It turned out beautifully. I know the pictures don't do justice to the colour of the fabric but I thought your fabric choice was really nice. I love the leaf cutout and stitching details. Did you do the stitching around the leaf by hand or machine?
Thank you very much, and I appreciate the help you gave me. I stitched the design on my sewing machine - very, very slowly, lol. I was quite timid about the cut-out leaves, after having grand ideas based on that coat shown in Threads last summer. I'd still like to do something similar on a larger scale.
I am impressed with the pictures of your beautiful work - I tried several years ago to make a Burda skirt - it was a huge failure mainly because I didn't check any of the measurements before I started and surprise when the skirt was finished it didn't come even close to fitting and the thing wasn't salvageble as it was a ditsy pattern with all sorts of weird pieces and nothing was going to help - I got rid of it - I don't even remember what I did with it but I haven't tried a Burda pattern since but your picture means that maybe I'll try again and measure it ahead of time - problem with not doing samples.
Thanks, all, for the nice comments. Joan.
This post is archived.