Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

New Janome 9700 or Used Pfaff 2170!?!?!?

decatur_sewer | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I really want the Pfaff 2170…but I just can’t shell out that kind of $$$. Should I settle(tough life i’m living, eh?)  for the Janome 9700?

Or any other suggestions?

(i sew lots of curtains…usually with upholstery fabric so they are very thick…and I very much want to start doing machine embroidery)

Replies

1. user-217847 | | #1

Hi,

I've just picked up my new janome 11000, have'nt used it yet but I made all my curtains and the thicker drapes on the janome 10000 without a glitch, when not making curtains, I machine embroidered. now I intend to focus on my sewing and quilting skills which are'nt that good. hope I've been of some assistance.

lee

1. decatur_sewer | | #2

That's good to hear that the 10001 sews thru thick fabrics;  )

2. smbnikita | | #3

Hello, I am interested in buying the Janome 10001 or the 11000, is there any advise that you can offer?  Have you had any problems with your machine or is there anyting that you don't like about it?

Edited 12/13/2006 8:30 am ET by smbnikita

1. user-217847 | | #4

hello there,

absolutely loved the machine, never had a problem in 4 years. The reason why I upgraded  was the extra large hoop and the larger screen work area,  the only advice I could offer choose a Janome dealership that have nice friendly sales people, they will be invaluable if you need help or advice. I adore the owner of my store he's a georgeous man Ive been dealing with him and his staff for maybe 18 years now. I may not be good at sewing yet but I do a lot of embroidery and I love it, so will you if you get one. let me know what you decide. take the plunge you won't regret it.

lee

1. smbnikita | | #7

Thanks for the advice,  I think I am going to take the plunge and buy the Janome 11000.  I am hoping to pick it up on Saturday.  I went to a place in Rhode Island that services all machines and they were very pleasant.  I originally was looking at the Janome 10001, until the lady at the sewing center explained to me that Janome no longer makes the 10001, and that I would have to find some place where they still had a new one in stock, otherwise I would end up getting a refurbished one.

So I choose to bit the bullet and go with the 11000, a bit more money but I think it is going to be worth it in the long run.  I will keep you posted.

1. user-217847 | | #8

you won't regret it,

I'm having an absolute ball. I've not sewn anything yet.I'm still playing, although I have set up a Jacobean design to run up the lower legs and sleeves of a pair 3/4 leg pants and an over shirt. That was so much fun.

Lee

2. smbnikita | | #9

I will keep you posted on how I make out, I am hoping to make the trip this weekend to pick up the machine, one of the first things I am looking to do as well is get in to the embroidery piece of it.  I have so many sewing projects going on right now and have done most of them on my old Singer.  So this is a huge upgrade for me.  I am also really looking forward to getting into quilting, I have made a baby quilt so far and looking to get into larger quilts.

3. smbnikita | | #10

I bought the Janome 11000 and I love it, I haven't stopped sewing yet.  I have been embroidering as well that was really easy to get going and I had never embroideried before.  I am very satisfied with the purchase of the Janome 11000.  Best of luck sewing.... :)

4. smbnikita | | #11

Where do you get your Jacobean designs?

5. user-217847 | | #12

I'm so glad your enjoying the machine,

The Jacobean designs I use I found at http://www.miakaydesigns.com they are truely beautiful, check out all the designs I like 99% of them. I used the built in bumble bee to decorate bath towels and all the works for my neice as well as a few last minute gifts, can you tell me why people leave these things to the last minute then expect them done in 5 minutes? Let me know what you've been sewing I'd really enjoy hearing.

wally

6. smbnikita | | #13

Thanks, I will check out the site.  I made most of my christmas presents this year.  I made bean bags that hold 40lbs, of shredded foam.  I made a couple of little kids chairs froma pattern.  I am into quilting and made a baby quilt, I also made a baby pillow with the baby's name and birth information embroideried on it.

I have also made some Pajama pants, that I embroideried on as well.  I have a bunch of curtain patterns to make curtains for family members as well.

Thanks

Shawn

7. user-217847 | | #16

well done

8. denise | | #14

yes  i am having a ball too i am here stitching out dolls faces.

then i will make the bodies to correspond.

My hand drawn faces where never good,.  now i feel i can make the dolls for gifts

9. user-217847 | | #15

good to hear

10. denise | | #17

Dear  Wally

Wombat  are u an aussie

11. user-217847 | | #18

You bet.

I live in Newcastle, NSW on the East Coast of the countryBeauiful beaches the best in the world, vineyards (in the Hunter Valley) to die for even if you don't drink. An hour and a half drive south to Sydney.    

Lee

12. denise | | #19

Hobart is my  home  on the banks of the derwent river,

view of mount wellington.

29 today and i suppose one of our best assets is that we have enough water.

we are truly blessed in so many ways in each part of our country.

13. user-217847 | | #20

denise, you are so right, my heart goes out to our farmers I don't know if you've seen footage of the devistation due to the drought, suicide rates arlarmingly high and what about those fires. you know we have some very very old properties in the valley worth millions of dollars some twit has decided to dam it, we need it like a hole in the head, we are presently sell water from our dam to the central coast, go figure. please excuse my ignorance, I know your having trouble with wood chipping but do you suffer with droughts.

lee

14. denise | | #21

yes  but only on our east coast and central midlands.

The Government is talking about piping water from the west coast where the hydro schemes are and cloud seeding is done to the Midlands.

Yes i have seen the footage, and if the interest rates go up again then of course it makes things worse for those on the land. it is so hard. And we do rely on the men and woman on the land for our needs,  .  weat to flour etc and the list goes on.

So many things could be done that have not been in the past 10 years or so.

Water tanks to catch rainwater should be compulsory, in the city, this would also encourage people to grow their own vegetables etc and live a healthier life style. So much rain water ( when we have it )  goes no where.

Grey water should be recycled. We have an enviro cycle which is great as we live on a acre.

Council should recycle all water to the point of re use i think the technology is availbable if it is not well this "clever" country should find it.

Well back to my doll making,  A friends mum gave me a rag doll for my girls 32 years ago now as i have a grandson i am making one for her grandchildren that looks very much the same.

I never thought at my age 57 that i would have such a lovley machine my mum passed over and i was able to buy it.

enjoy your day in such lovley surroundings.

2. nursewing | | #5

I was like you a few yeara ago & got a cheaper machine , was never happy with it. Long story made short. 2 sergers ago & 1 sewing machine ago I now have the ones that are ideal for me. I do lots of drapes &home dec. So I have all this money invested & can't sell the old machines for love or money. Should have taken the plunge in the first place &actually saved money from the start.  Cheaper machines collecting dust are not cheap, & a waste of money. Not sure if we can mentionnames on this site but the machine I now have & love is the Pfaff 7570. Love it. Love the brand, Think the model  is discontinued but the brand is tops in my book. Have the Evolve Baby lock serger & it is tops in my book for sergers. If you want to know the machines I have &not happy with I can tell you in a private email.  [email protected]

3. nursewing | | #6

By the way, m Pfaff was a used machine & I couldn't be happier.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights