Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

New Threads #147 is a sewer’s dream!

Ckbklady | Posted in Talk With Us on

I finally got a look at my holiday mail and found the new Threads in the stack. WOW! My all-time favorite designer is Madeleine Vionnet. What a thrill to see both an article about her and samples sewn to celebrate her work. Linda Lee’s felted wool jersey suggestions are fantastic also. I dream of having enough sewing time to make the glorious yellow jacket on page 35. It’s like getting a little more Christmas to get such a great issue in the mail. Thank you, dear Editors, for getting Threads so firmly back on track for us intermediate/advanced garment sewers. There really is nothing comparable in print and if there were, I doubt it would give me such a thrill.

Replies

1. lou19 | | #1

Looking forward to getting my copy!

Louise

2. stillsuesew | | #2

This really is a great issue. My sincere thanks to all of those women who created the Vionnet half size samples. They are truly amazing and I cannot imagine how many work hours were involved in each one. I hope we get to see more of them in the future.

3. wlric | | #3

The photo on page 32 of issue #147 is listed as the Zen Shirt from Sewing Workshop. It would be interesting to learn what design changes were made to the pattern. It doesn't look like the photo on the Sewing Workshop website for the Zen shirt. In fact, on further searching, it looks more like the Liberty Shirt. Any thoughts?

Edit: I just received an answer via email from April Mohr saying it is the Zen shirt with adaptations.

1. User avater
      bethaten | | #5

I keep returning to the picture of this garment....it's beautiful and I, too, would love to know more about the alterations made to the pattern. any ideas?

beth

http://bethaten.com

1. wlric | | #6

It seems to me that the only part of the zen shirt pattern that may have been used is the two layer collar detail. The magazine photo shows a shirt with princess seams, a plain button front with added bands that curve around the hem, and cuff bands. I think that calling this a zen shirt is misleading. It's a beautiful top. The felted wool is perfect for it. It would be lovely to have a pattern. But then again, Threads does test our creativity.

1. User avater
          bethaten | | #8

you're right on all
          you're right on all counts!

beth

1. Josefly | | #9

I enjoyed looking at the images of your work displayed on your website. It's made me very curious about how you produce them - are you using dyes, paints, inks? On both paper and fabric? Are you stitching pieces together like patchwork piecing? I wish I could see them up close.

2. User avater
            bethaten | | #11

thank you! yes, I am constructing the fabric pieces like traditional quilts with piecing. I use procion dyes, thickened to print, thinned to paint and also setacolor and jacquard paints. You can see me printing with setacolor on my blog, http://studiodays.wordpress.com. I use heavy paper, watercolor or printmaking paper, as a base for my paper works which I layer with all the mentioned products and acrylic paints, pastel, colored pencils and anything else which will make a mark. I stitch these together with my sewing machine, usually with a zigzag stitch.

Take care~

Beth

3. Josefly | | #13

Interesting, beautiful work. I love the colors you're creating and putting together. Again, I hope I'll get to see it in person sometime. Do you ever exhibit in the Atlanta area?

Joan

4. User avater
            bethaten | | #14

thank you~right now the southernmost end of my show schedule is the baltimore washington dc area....

4. User avater
    Deana | | #4

We're glad to hear you are
    We're glad to hear you are enjoying this issue so much! Please keep your comments coming.

5. Rabia | | #7

Wahhh! I have been to the bookstore TWICE and the new Threads STILL isn't in yet! >tears hair< I am simply GOING to HAVE to SUBSCRIBE!

6. Sancin | | #10

I just got my copy yesterday. I seemed to have been sent 2x 146 far apart and thought that was the one every one was commenting on. I absolutely love the 147 - it is so like the Threads I loved when I first started purchasing and then subscribing to years ago. I kind of miss the few quilting pieces but like the all sewing. As I about to adapt a pattern for a blouse I like the article by Kenneth King - but I need the shoulder adjustments now!! And I have to wait for next issue. Please never change the back covers. I appreciated the online shopping list as I trust Threads. If you decide to do this regularly please ensure sites are still up and running. I checked a list on another site recently and not one site is still available - wasted my time. I liked the sewing channel article because while I know how to this I got some ideas for other projects - same thing with the Shirley Adams article. I haven't read the sewing sweaters yet, but did purchase several cheap cashmere sweaters at Costco yesterday with the intent of using them in remaking some of my old sweaters that I have had in my stash for years!

7. Josefly | | #12

Edit: This comment appeared out of order in the string I intended. Sorry.

8. Rabia | | #15

FINALLY the new threads arrived in the store! And yes, it is a GREAT issue. Love the Ken King article on fitting. And the dress on the back cover is BEAUTIFUL.

9. User avater
    bethaten | | #16

the sewing workshop blog has posted details about the wool felted zen shirt.....!

beth

10. wlric | | #17

Thank you for giving us the update. Here is the link to the blog.

http://sewingworkshop.com/weblog/

The jacket entry is dated Jan 23, 2010

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights