Newbie on embellishing – help please!
Hello there. Im a newbie to sewing and have been mostly teaching myself through the internet. Im in love with embellishing fabrics/embellished clothing (mostly with sew on rhinestones/embellishments etc.). Here are some questions:
1. Why do people use tulle/mesh to embellish on before sewing it onto a fabric – rather than just sewing the embellishments straight onto the fabric? I want to start a project on embellishing a particular garment (lets just call it a skirt) but im not too sure whether i should sew the embellishments straight onto the fabric first or onto tulle/mesh first then onto the fabric?
2. If you embellish on tulle/mesh – how do you transfer it onto fabric? Is it as simple as just cutting around your embellished design and then sewing it onto the fabric? Is there a different technique? Because cutting around the design and sewing it onto a fabric looks a bit ugly to me?
3. I’ve purchased some tambour hooks to do some tambour beading but wanted to know if its a rule to bead on tulle/see-through material only? As all the vids ive seen seem to be beading on see-through fabric only?
4. Is there are rule for the types of fabric that should be used to be embellish on? Because i’m planning to use polyester fabric. Should i add lining in between the outer (embellished) and inner layer (i dont want the threads to show on the inside)? Anyone know a better technique to hide the threads after embellishing a fabric?
5. One last thing – does anyone know any good embellishment/rhinestone suppliers/manufacturers? I cant find any GOOD and affordable suppliers. I have only been purchasing my stock from Alibaba but the language barrier can be too overwhelming sometimes :-/
Thanks in advance!