Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

opinion on Husqvarna sapphire 850 or 870

cokey | Posted in General Discussion on

Any opinions on the Husqvarna sapphire line of computerized sewing machines?  I am thinking about the 850 or 870.   I have had my Husqvarna since 1971 without any problems and am thinking about going to a computerized one with automatic buttonholing which was my biggest issue on my machine.  My sewing is clothing, craft, home decor, leather, costumes and repairs of course, including my husband’s pickup truck bed cover.  Appreciate your opinions. 

Replies

1. Bionerd | | #1

I purchased the 850 last christmas-the tension was kind of wacky and I kept it for a few weeks, made some PJ's for my son, and a blouse and was still not happy-even my straight seams looked bad.  My previous machine- $80 from Sears that I've had for about 30 years didn't do that!  So I returned it to the store and the owner said she would adjust the tension, and was given an 870 model to take home.  So I made another blouse and thought it was a little better but still had the same tension issues.  When I returned to reclaim my 850, I had to wait as the shop was very busy so started to play around with the Platinum 775-what a difference!  It had a solid feel and was able to handle all fabrics with ease-so I returned the Sapphire 850 and had them dig up a 775 for me.  There are some features I miss-but the Platinum was a better choice for me.  The Sapphire has been a little controversial as far as tension issues etc. (see reviews on this site and patternreview.com) but many people love them.  It was a nice machine, supper easy to use, and I loved the automatic presser foot.  I would suggest spending the time to test drive the machines you are interested in, using the types of fabrics you use most before reaching a decision. Happy shopping!

1. cokey | | #2

Thanks for your reply, I have given it a drive and so far so good. 

1. Bionerd | | #4

Hello cokey-I haven't been on the computer too much lately.  Hope you are finding a new machine you like.  People seem to either love or hate the Sapphires.  There does seem to be some problems with the tension.  What did it for me was comparing the Platinum and the Sapphire side by side with a number of different fabrics, and the Platinum was the hands down winner.  I didn't try many other brands-I looked at Babylock and Bernina.  So far I'm happy with my choice, even though I don't have much time to sew at present.  Good luck.

2. Sooze | | #3

I purchased a Sapphire 870 about a year ago. I have a SE and Rose.In my opinion the 870 is a really cheap machine. I too have trouble with the tension, the thread cutters are dull, the basting stitch is awful.I am in the process of trading it in. I would't reccomend this machine to anyone.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights