Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong (Harper & Row, 1987)

missmarie | Posted in Pattern Discussion on

Has anyone seen the 1st edition of this?  I remember reading a discussion about this being the best edition in an article last year.  A Threads contributor wrote about her favourite books but I can’t seem to find the article now.

Thank you

Replies

1. okstevens | | #1

Interesting: I have this book, and it's the 1987 edition. It is a big, 700 page book! If you need something in particular, perhaps I could look it up and photocopy it for you.
    Katherine Stevens
    [email protected]

1. User avater
      missmarie | | #2

I'll keep that in mind Katherine and I really appreciate your kind offer
      Marie Stephens

1. okstevens | | #10

I read that last reply to you and, interested, I searched out the blog the writer referred you to. The blogger taught pattern making at the Fashion Institute for nine years, so she knows what she’s talking about! The blogger tells you to buy whichever edition you can find:
        “ Whichever edition you get your hands on, you will get a great addition to your library.”
        https://blog.porcelynne.com/pattern-drafting-book-review-series-part-1-patternmaking-for-fashion-design-by-helen-armstrong/

2. FrancesC | | #3

MissMarie, if you are interested in buying the book, try Amazon and also, Abe Books which is a website for independent used-book sellers.

https://www.abebooks.com

Enter the author's name with the surname first, followed by the given names.

This is one expensive book - be prepared for sticker shock!

1. User avater
      missmarie | | #6

You are so right Frances - over $700.00. I have found a vintage book seller in Australia that has the 1st Edition for $100.00 - I'll put a bid in on that. Thank you for taking the time from fellow sewer, Marie

3. catstexas | | #4

I just visited abebooks.com The have lots of the Armstrong books. The earliest edition I saw was the SECOND. Perhaps if you ask them . . .

1. User avater
      missmarie | | #7

Thank you for replying, this is great help. See my reply to Frances C above. Happy sewing

4. doreet | | #5

uh--watch out on "Abe's Books", i used to go there a lot before my check acct. got HACKED BY SOMEONE THERE--probably a book seller ggetting on there by selling old used books,Just be careful.Its a great book site but that cured me for going on Abe's Books.If you got very powerful protection maybe ok; the darn web ain't very safe any more.---otherwise, its a very good site for old books.

1. User avater
      missmarie | | #8

Point taken Doreet. Thank you for this warning. I've got Nortons but get heaps of scam mail and trackers.

Kind regards,
      Marie

5. Deleted | | #9

“[Deleted]”

6. user-7848007 | | #11

I saw the comment on Abe books and must recommend ALIBRIS as an alternative site for used books. I got a 2nd edition of the book you're looking for on Alibris a few months ago. Don't remember if there was a 1st edition. Good luck with your search.

7. ClaireTT | | #12

How's the search going?

1. User avater
      ElmaTnm | | #13

That was long ago and I'm unsure if anyone will answer you. There are some good recommendations here on how to find this book so you can use them. Alternatively, you can try using the databases with essay samples if you are looking for something specific. For example, this source https://studydriver.com/civil-rights/ helped me find data for my legal research because it took me a long time to find the book I was looking for. You can also go to a vintage book lovers forum and make a query there. Good luck with your search.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights