Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Pfaff 4852 serger is having problems.

Shannon1 | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I bought a Pfaff coverlock 4852 in 2001 when I lived in Colorado. Now I live in Arizona and yesterday I decided to switch out my regular presser foot and use another foot. Imagine my surprise when my presser foot would not lift off the needle plate! The presser foot control will turn 360 degrees (it’s not supposed to), and when I tried to find a Pfaff dealer, or a telephone number to call for customer support, I found that the website has no U.S. sites listed, only Canadian. Now what? Has anybody had this problem with their presser feet? How can I fix this? I love my machine, have put money into feet and time into learning how to work this machine, but now I’m wondering what is going on with Pfaff? The two phone numbers I have for east and west coast sales offices have been disconnected. I read some postings from 2006 that Pfaff was bought out, but shouldn’t the takeover company support these machines? Thanks for any help on this. I want to use my machine again.

Replies

1. Betakin | | #1

If no Pfaff dealer is listed in the yellow pages of your phone book, then I suggest to call the information operator and ask for Arizona Pfaff sewing machine dealers. I live in Arizona too and my dealer has several locations in the city and also has good Pfaff techs. I think my dealer also has other stores in the cities close by.

My dealer is also a Viking dealer. I don't know if you know that VSP has been formed by Kohlberg which is Singer's holding company purchasing Pfaff/Viking = VSP. If you have a local Viking dealer and give them a call, they might be able to tell you where the closest Pfaff dealer is.

Maybe your serger can be fixed by any general sewing repair place if it is just the pressure regulator. I hope it is an easy fix and not expensive. I wish you the best.

Edited 4/26/2008 3:54 am ET by Betakin

Edited 4/26/2008 1:14 pm ET by Betakin

1. Shannon1 | | #2

Thanks for your help. After I posted my question I checked ALL the yellow book pages - I hate getting multiple copies of yellow pages because everybody lists in different books and I have to hunt through all of them to get the info I want. I discovered exactly what you said. I decided to have an authorized dealer (35th ave) try the repairs because everyone I contacted said the same thing, $89.00 for maintenance and then extra if I needed more work. Of course, nobody could tell me what was wrong "without looking at the machine and getting $89. first", so I decided to go with the dealer this time, find out what's wrong now, and next time (hopefully there is no next time) go with another unauthorized dealer to see what they do. I've come to the realization that dealers don't like to tell me what the problem is because then I can get it fixed by an unauthorized repair person for less. I like the Kings repair person, he's honest, told me last year when this happened what the problem was, but that he didn't have parts because he wasn't an authorized dealer, so he superglued the lever on. It worked for a year, but then the problem returned. Hopefully an authorized repair person will get it fixed permanently, but I suspect plastic breaks no matter who fixes it. It could just be the weak part of the machine. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate your help.

1. Betakin | | #3

I'm glad you found a dealer. I'm also glad I reread my first post too, I had to edit to correct the typo I made:)

I almost purchased a 4852. I had the 4842 a short time but wanted the 4852 for the coverhem feature. I was told by my dealer that I would be given full purchase price of my 4842 serger if I traded up within a year. Well, I found that not so. My serger was under 2 mos. old and I had traded in my good old Babylock for the 4842. I found that if I traded in my 2 month old 4842 for the 4852 that was on sale, the dealer would not give me the sale price of the 4852 but instead the price would be the msrp. If I did the trade then I would have paid more for the 4852 than anyone walking in off the street without a trade in because the sale price was a good one. It didn't make sense to me. I had traded in my Babylock for the 4842 and paid off the 4842 and traded it in for the 4852 and paid more for the 4852 than anyone purchasing it for the sale price..(???)  so I purchased another brand coverlock elsewhere. That is why I didn't give you the name of my dealer here in Az that has several stores. This dealer seems to have good techs however.  

I hope your serger will be up and running again soon. If this is a bad part in your serger, I would hope it is covered under the manufacturer's warranty and of no great expense to you.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights