Threads Logo Threads Logo Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Polyester shantung interfacing

SheilaJ | Posted in General Discussion on

I am having trouble finding an interfacing I like for Polyester shantung.  The smooth side is slick and doesn’t always bond well.  The hand feels a bit like taffeta afterward.  I tried fusible tricot thinking that would be the softest choice and it likes to pull away from the smooth side of the fabric when using the nubbed side for the fashion side of the garment.   Other things have been poor choices also and haven’t bonded well.       Interfacing on the nubbed side to use the opposite out is also a problem with bonding.   




  1. alotofstitches | | #1

    When you fused the interfacing did you read and follow directions using a clock to fuse?  I found that when I DID read and follow the directions for each of the many kinds I used all my problems magically disappeared!  I was going to suggest the fusi-knit until I read you'd tried it already.  I don't recall ever having it separate and I know I've used on the poly shantung.

    1. SheilaJ | | #4

      I tried one kind of fusible tricot but am unsure of the name brand and type.  I did test several tricot type options and only one type didn't bubble when pulled lightly.  I need to determine which one that is.  Thanks for the help. 

      1. ixs | | #5

        I was always given the advice that if you can't find the right kind of interfacing, use the garment material for interfacing.  If you use a selvage edge, some of the seams won't have to be finished. 

  2. rzgreen | | #2

    Sounds like a sew in might be a better choice.



    1. SheilaJ | | #3

      I am making a jacket and the entire garment needs additional support and my intention is to interface the entire inside.  Manufacturers are using a fusible tricot interfacing on various jackets to add body.  I tested several things and found only one that didn't pull and bubble when pulled slightly.  Because these are fitted garments it is necessary to use the appropriate interfacing.  I have ordered several pieces not knowing which type it actually is and will have to determine at a later time which that is.  Thank you for your input. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Subscribe to Threads today

Save up to 42% and get a free gift


Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All


Shop the Store

View All
View More