Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Roller Shade hardware

Sewnut | Posted in General Sewing Info on

Hi Everyone!

Well I want to make a roller blind or roman shade or some type of roll up shade. I am having a very difficult time finding the hardware to make this shade. I see shades like this on display at calico corners but nowhere have I seen the actual hardware to buy to attach your fabric to. Am I missing it, or do they just not offer it? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!


  1. georgiagg | | #1

    Any time I have watched someone make a roller shade on TV program they always start with the roller shade that you buy at the store.  Take the shade off and use the hardward. Be sure to add the extra length for wrapping around the pole once to cover the edge of the fabric when the shade is down.  Pole could also be painted to go with the shade.

    1. Sewnut | | #2

      Actually this is not the type of roller shade that I mean. I want the type that is drawn up and down by a string,rope, bead, etc. It is a whole system that you buy. I just do not know where to buy it. Thanks  

      1. Elisabeth | | #3

        I made some of these ages ago for a friend, at least what you describe sounds like it. I bought some tape with plastic rings attached at intervals and sewed that on and threaded cording through. But I cannot remember what we used to hang them. The tape and cording you can find at JoAnns or most home dec fabric stores and they probably will have any other necessary hardware as well. Or is it the bamboo blind type system you are looking for?

        1. Sewnut | | #4

          Thank you for your reply. I have looked at Joann and they really do not seem to have to much.  Actually I am pretty disappointed with Joann. I cannot seem to Find anything. What you describe sounds very close to what I am looking for. Maybe I should ask at calico corrners? You never know!

  2. georgiagg | | #5

    A friend of mine told me today that you can get the hardware for your rollup shade at JC Penneys.  I was surprised and quized her exactly what she was tallking about.  We happen to be sitting next to a window that had the rollup shade.  This is one that has the chain that rolls it up and down.  She said Penneys was the place to get it.....just the hardware.

    1. Sewnut | | #6

      Wow! No Kidding! Well If I can I will go today and look. Thank you so Much!

  3. dwessl | | #7

    Hi again. If you have a Fabric Place near you, they have alot of window covering type classes, I recently took the Roman shade class and it was fairly easy. They also sell roller shades specifically for fabric use, and they are very helpful. They might sell cellular type shades also. Anyway check out their web for locations and classes and sign up for mailings. I think it's  http://www.fabricplace.com

    1. Sewnut | | #8

      Well I just knew that they did not have a store near me. It was way to simple! Very interesting website though! Thanks 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All