Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Service/Repair Manual for Singer 1036

betsyv | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

The tension mechanism in my beloved Singer Creative Touch 1036 has finally failed completely – it will no longer stay “tense”.

Does anyone out there have the service manual? I would love to see the 2 or 3 pages dealing with the tension mechanism. My husband has been tweaking my machine for years, but he is baffled by the tension problem. No local Singer repair person has been able to fix this machine properly – I have tried 2 or 3 of them over the past 20 years. (I am in the Boston area.)

I have had this machine since 1979. I recently bought a hardly used Viking 350 to replace it, so I am not exactly desperate, but I would like to fix the problem if I can.

Thanks, all –

Betsy

Replies

1. Julie B | | #1

If you don't get any help here and want to purchase a new manual, search for Singer 1036 manual on Google -- you will come up with a number of places you can order a new manual. Good luck.

1. betsyv | | #2

Thanks, Julie -

1. mygaley | | #3

Hey, Betsy, I just did a little research on adjusting tensions and diy machine repair and here are some sites:  http://www.sewalot.com Alex Askaroff is the instructor here; http://www.sewvacdoctor.com This site is a scream--I really like his attitude; http://www.gwsms.com Great Western Sewing Machine Services; also I did a google search on sewing machine repair and found a site possibly titled we fix it.  Don't have time to look it up now, but it's a forum and I liked it.  I'm sympathetic to your plight--if a panel says no consumer serviceable parts inside, I start looking for my screwdriver.  Also, the Cooperative Extension Service Agent might give your husband some informal advice, especially if you can find a retired one!  God bless you, Galey

1. betsyv | | #4

Galey - Thank you for the suggestions! I'll take a look this week. As far as the Cooperative Extension goes - it's a dead breed in Mass. There may be some life in it in the western part of the state, but nothing left of it near Boston.

Betsy

2. Teaf5 | | #5

Like Julie, I bought a machine manual for an old machine from a website. The site was secure, and I could get a downloaded version immediately for $7 or a paper copy mailed to me for $12. However, neither that manual or the one for my other machine shows how to repair the tension, just how to adjust it. D

epending on how mechanical you are, you might be able to take it apart, as I did, to find that the little knob inside the dial had worn down to the point it wouldn't move the cog anymore (I took it off and now move it by hand). Another likely cause is that the spring is broken, in which case you'd need a qualified dealer to get you the correct replacement. This is not a project for the faint-of-heart; it was far more difficult than I expected.

Since the thread tension mechanism is very complicated and so very, very important to every sewing minute, it might be worth it to have a qualified technician fix it!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights