Sewing Machine Purchasing Article Needed
Just a thought as I browsed through Gatherings about all the questions regarding which sewing machine to buy… that Threads magazine could do with an article on how to buy a sewing machine and then post it on their website.
Once upon a time there was a good website with that kind of information, but it has disappeared.
Things that might be addressed (if I wrote the article, and I’m not since you might want folks whose sewing expertise in stuff I do NOT do: like quilting, embroidery, etc):
1) How to evaluate your needs (quilting, home dec, embroidery, garment, sew a lot, hardly sew at all, backpacking fabrics… etc)
2) How to test the machines you want… bring your own fabrics (do NOT buy a machine for a spouse without their input!)
3) Differences between the machines… mechanical versus computerized… dual feed versus attaching a walking foot… control use… software functions… rotary versus oscillating bobbin
4) How to choose a dealer… repair policies and buying from the Internet
5) Costs and availability of assessories
Just a thought, Chris
owner of a 1990 mechanical Pfaff Hobbymatic 955 (which I love and will never get rid of!) and a new computerized Brother PC-2800 (which makes lovely buttonholes and eyelets… which I like) — I have both set up and use them together