Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Sewing with Ottoman & V7860

WandaJ | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Good Evening, I am considering sewing view C of Vogue 7860 in black ottoman. I do not want the ridges (if that is the correct name?) of the fabric going round my body, but up and down. Has anyone ever sewn with this fabric in this direction? If so, what was the outcome?

After viewing the pattern’s illustration could you also tell me if ottoman is a fabric that should be considered for making this garment. It is not one that is recommended.

Too, I have questions about altering this specific pattern as the princess seams appear not to be all the way down the front of the coat (jacket), but stop underneath the pocket. I am sure I need extra width at the hips and most likely the bust. For this type of pattern do I just add at the side seam, or what is the process for altering the princess seamline when it does not go all the way down?

Here are the line drawings for the jacket and coat which illustrates the princess seam that I asked about. Please excuse the skirt and pants as I do not know how to eliminate them.

View Image 

WandaJ

Replies

1. starzoe | | #1

I have sewn items on the crossgrain instead of the straight of the goods as marked in the pattern. It does work if the crossgrain and straight are both about equal in hand. You will have to find if this is the case with the ottoman. For instance, a midweight cotton would probably work whereas a knit is always around the body, not up and down so you would choose the layout according to the stretch. A fine gauged silk might work. As you can see you have to play with the fabric a little.Ottoman is usually quite heavy, at least a firm weave. What is the fabric called for in your pattern? If a fabric of equal weight is suggested, and your ottoman is firm in both directions, it probably would work. About the fit: the first thing you have to do is to measure the pattern's finished dimensions against your own body, the measurements are on the pattern or the envelope. Come back with this information and if you need help, you have a lot of experts here to assist.

1. WandaJ | | #2

Thank you for the advice you so promptly provided. After my initial post I decided to look this pattern up on Pattern Review. There is only one review and from what is posted this pattern presents many challenges. Therefore I have pretty much decided not to use the ottoman on this project. Oh, by the way if anyone chooses to do so you too should look up this jacket in the above forum, as the presenter has done an exquisite job in making this jacket. We all know this pattern must be an elegant timeless one as it was one that Threads used in it's recent magazine advertisement (by snail mail) that I received.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights