Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Singer 7462

jilldd | Posted in General Discussion on

Hello all, I am new to sewing (and this board) and am interested in a general purpose machine for basic sewing. (Making projects out of denim to light cotton) I know there are hundreds of machines and, like everyone else, do not want to buy an unsuitable machine, which may be hard to find in the $200 price range. I am looking at a Singer 7462. Is there anyone out there that knows anything about this machine, or other comparable machines? I am currently using the top of the line “Wizard Citation” For those of you that are machine savvy, you may know this wonderful machine. (Actually sews pretty well….this is an opinion of a person that has never sewn on any other machine.)  

Thanks,

Jill

Replies

1. Alice in Atlanta | | #1

Hi Jill,  Before I buy anything I research it to death! It keeps me from having buyers remorse. I don't have thousands of dollars so I can't afford mistakes.  I recently purchased two machines through eBay. The first one was a Brother which is threaded from a cassette.  I had a lot of problems with that machine but the seller, Ken's Sew and Vac, was good about replacing it three times.  Needless to say, I don't recommend this machine.  The other was from eBay too, btw, both are re-conditioned machines which means they've gone back to the  manufacturer for repairs so should be as good as new, if not even better.

The second machine is the Kenmore 19606, computerized, nice bright cool light, great  1 step buttonholes, needle up and down, etc.  This machine was put up for auction by a pawn shop...the only thing missing was the manual but it did come with a video. A nice saleslady at my local Sears store made me a copy of hers which saved me $20.  This machine makes beautiful buttonholes, has built in easy needle threader.

First of all, may I caution you to watch what's being sold and for how much, then you'll get a pretty good idea of what the price should be.  For a beginner I would buy a good older model Kenmore, they are all metal, heavy and a real work horse. Lots of people are trading these in for a machine which has all the bell and whistles or have the capability to embroider...you don't need that yet.  If you follow my advice you should be able to pick up a machine for about $50 plus S & H.  Watch for the S & H, there are some greedy sellers out there who make their money on that alone.  I bought this new Kenmore from a pawn shop on eBay, the other, on eBay, but from a sewing machine dealer in Ala. who came with good references and a postive eBay feedback...VERY IMPORTANT.  I did have a problem with the Brother but the dealer was good about replacing three of them. Yes, 3! The Kenmore didn't have a book but the people at Sears made me a copy free. It makes the alphabet and is computerized but not as good and strong as my old Kenmore which I have kept.  I like the lights on the new machines, not as hot as the old ones were.  But most of all, don't be in a hurry....take time to learn what you want or need.  Oh, forgot to mention,  the machines were reconditioned but good as new. Hope this helps.  If this sounds disjointed it's because I'm having a prblem with my pc.  Go to http://www.patternreview.com and check out what others have said about their machines.

2. Veronika | | #2

I'm also considering this machine, but there aren't that many reviews online and they seem to contradict each other anyway. I'd be really grateful for any comments from someone who has used this machine. Thanks!

3. Pattiann42 | | #3

The singer will most likely be a good machine. 

There is no support unless you buy from a sewing machine dealer.  This could be important if you are a beginner to machine sewing.

If you do not buy from a dealer, then what is the retailer's return policy?

Is there a retailer near you where it is for sale? 

1. Veronika | | #4

Thanks, spicegirl. I'm in Europe - the standard guarantee is 2 years (as required by law) and some sites offer free 10 year guarantee - but they are rather hazy as to what is covered... Two years is enough, though, I think. The price is double the one in the US, unfortunately - £195. They will take the machine back if it is in resaleable condition (I realise that "resaleable condition" is a potential loophole) and will repair it for free if a problem is caused by manufacturer's fault. I haven't found any store where I could lay my hands on the machine, pity.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights